Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom PC won't boot up 1st time after power on

Options
  • 29-01-2004 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi,

My recent custom PC is
    MSI KT6 Delta
    AMD XP 2600B
    512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM
    Zalman Silent Flower Cooler
    Radeon 9700 Pro(with Zalman Heatsink)
    3 Case Fans.
    2x 80Gb HD
    Windows XP SP2

The problem is that when I first turn the PC on (after a period of inactivity) it usually gets as far as the bios screen or possibly the Win XP splash screen then it restarts.

It will always boot up perfectly 2nd time and if I turn the PC off and then back on it will also boot up fine. No other known problems.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the cheap 350W PSU that came with the case (Kotech ATX Style Case from Peats). Haven't had the chance to test another PSU - plan to buy a quieter one soon.
    Doesn't matter how many devices I have plugged in either - will always do the same. It's like the PSU hasn't warmed up properly.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar or know of another culprit?

Thanks mm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Sounds like the psu alright. If you can live with double booting on cold starts, it'll probably be ok.
    Have you tried it without the 9700?, I'd say that's what's causing your voltage to dip and reboot the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Your probably right about the 9700 - tis a power drain.

Do you reckon a new PSU will fix the problem?

Also do u reckon 350W is enough based on my specs - at high usage time would have about 4 USB devices plugged in:
    ATI Remote Wonder receiver,
    PSX controller convertor,
    USB mouse
    and a PenDrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I would'nt worry about those USB devices tbh. The graphics card can be the biggest drain of a power supply, but 350W should be fine with that setup. Just make sure you get the right type (stay away from Q-Tec for one), and rem yer looking for average power of 350W.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If it's the PSU why does it work after the second boot, it needs to warm up first??:confused:, does the 9700 have it own extra power molex socket and does your MB have two power sockets?, plug both in if your PSU supports the smaller 12V one (the main one is a large one the smaller one is just 4 pins in a small square).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For a quality PSU at a very good price try ....

Fortron 350w
    Be-quiet 350w

Both are excellent PSU's with solid rails and will power your PC without a problem (also very quiet).
    Other good makes are.... Antec, Zalman, Enermax, ThermalTake, PCP & C,

Definetly get a good brand PSU, higher wattage the better but 350w will be fine..... espcially with the Fortrons&Zalmans as they produce much more power than there rated at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    If it's the PSU why does it work after the second boot, it needs to warm up first??:confused:, does the 9700 have it own extra power molex socket and does your MB have two power sockets?, plug both in if your PSU supports the smaller 12V one (the main one is a large one the smaller one is just 4 pins in a small square).
    The capacitors on the 9700 draw a lot of power to charge up, especially when they're fully drained (powered off for a few hours). Once they've been charged up (by the initial power up) there's no real drain on the PSU with the second boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    ..stay away from Q-Tec for one...

Is Q-Tec bad? I'm about to do my first custom build and had selected a Q-Tec case with 350W PSU

komplett SKU is 114708 if you want to check the details.

Maybe later today I'll post details of my full component list and invite comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'm rather unimpressed with them, for one.

Was given a 450W Q-Tec PSU about six months ago (very fancy looking thing, 2x80mm (pink) transparent fans, gold case) but in sticking it into my box (based on a Duron 1.3) it powers up from cold only about 80% of the time. I have a crappy Codegen 300W PSU that doesn't have that problem...

FWIW,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

This is a known issue with All-In-Wonder cards and PSUs that have protection circuits built in to them. Your PSU is trying to protect your components from what it sees as an OverDrain.

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/aiw/9700pro/fix.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have the same Q-Tec 450W golden psu with the 2 pink fans. got it from Komplett about 6 months ago.
    It has since become one noisy son of a bitch.
    so noisy in fact that I have stopped the inner of the two fans for ear-ease.

POS in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by M03
    This is a known issue with All-In-Wonder cards and PSUs that have protection circuits built in to them.
    It's not an AIW card though it sounds like that the PSU protection circuit may be the problem.

Going to upgrade to a BeQuiet 350 next week. Surprised to hear all the negative feedback on the Q-Tecs! Good to know though - cheers all.

I like the look of the Sharkoon 350W 12mm PSU at Peats
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7470&type=6&path=14x122x5315

However they've been claiming it's coming soon since before Xmas. Peats, what is your definition of "soon"?

I think this is Sharkoon's first PSU, so I'm better going with the reputable BeQuiet anyway.

That Sharkoon looks a huge ammount like the fortron ones. I forgot to mention that the 120mm fan PSU's will be noisy compared to the likes of be-quiet unless you mod the fan to run at 5-7v which means they are the quietest PSU's you will get. (at 5v you cant hear it at all, even with your ear to it)......... i know the fortron psu's will be fine with this dont and wont suffer from cooling problems even under big strain (ie dual cpu systems).

If you want a very quiet PSU without having to mod then id advise the Be-Quiet range, or the Antec 380w TruePower Single fan model ( possibly the fortron twin fan either). I wouldnt buy anything from peats myself........just my opinion.

Bought a Q-Tec 350V from HiTide last night - works like a dream.

Original booting problem is gone and the silence is golden :D

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that it seems to produce a lot more heat than my previous PSU (has an automatic temp control). And it blows hot air from the 2nd fan down into the case, around the CPU.

CPU and system temps seem to have risen a bit - guess its just the price to pay for the quietness.

wouldnt worry about the extra heat coming out, the be-quiet have huge heatsinks and allow the fans to run at lower RPMs, thus hotter air will come out..... totally normal.

Temps rising slightly , possibly due to the PSU sucking less air from the case...... do you have case fans?

Glad to hear you got sorted anyway, 2 problems sorted in one go :) .

Advertisement