Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geforce fx 5200

Options
  • 28-01-2004 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

rite people une problemo got that coolbits over clockin software for my graphics card. Q? do the settings shown on first launch show the settings you have at the moment cause when i run 3dmk03 there are a few glitchs ont the screen whereas when i have it uninstalled the glitchs are gone. another thing is when i overclock it a good bit say like the core clock frm 250 to 300 and the memory clock from 405 to 500 is it a gud idea to increase the voltage to the card???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

David a volt mod is dangerous and requires you actually messing with the hardware it can screw your hardware up and means you will need extra cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what i want to know is why you get a fx5200 if you want to volt mod it.?? :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

increased it from 1.5 to 1.6 and windows booted up fine yet to run 3d mark. i got the 2003 ver aswell pushin my card to the limit. that cool bits is pretty hard to negotiate so many options doin trial and error would take an age to try and get the max perf. any ideas

David your cracking:) me up what you did is not a volt-mod. All you did was increase the voltage to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Increasing the Voltage to the AGP slot doesent increase the cards core voltage so doesent help overclocking........ not a voltage to be messing with tbh.

If you really want to see your system perform in games then overclocking a Fx5200 isint the way to go about it........ mabye get a 9600pro, Fx5900, 9700pro, Ti series......... now there good overclockers and will give you much better gaming results !!

Like Offler & Cr3m0 pointed out a volt mod on that card isint a good idea (involves soldering & resistors...... ) and the cooling isint up to scratch for it either.

• Advertisement

yeah i know made a bad mistake buying it but now its too late and i aint got the funds at the mo. so increasing the voltage in bios to 1.6 wont actually do anything????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Isnt the 5200 only 300-400mhz ram 300mhz Gpu ? .............plus they have no real cooling other than a passive cooler on the Gpu so im not sure how far you could over clock it maybe 25-50 on the Gpu ....hmmm maybe the same on the ram.I dont think Nividia built their budge card to overclock

Just to piss you off i have my Geforce 5900lx at 475 mhz gpu and 900mhz ram (Woho i final fixed the overclocking tool problums) :D

B*strd. Think ill sell up and buy a new one better collect my pennies kick in the nads cause i wont get nearly as much as i paid for it, that coolbits messed my card up aswell went from 9000 to 7000 have to go home and uninstall everything again and just use the standard asus tools. cheers anyway for the help.

davkav your pc is a grand one by the specs but that geforce 5200 must be a big bottleneck for it ......Something like the 9600xt or geforce 5900lx (i highly recommend it!) would be far better for you because its not like your pc is some budget pos

only problum is grapics cards cost so damn much :(

Well if your thinkin about getting a new graphics card then the best are probably....

9600pro - €127 (great price)
    9600xt - €159 (€148 on komplett specials this wk)
    Fx5900 - €192 (fantastic overclocker, not as fast as 9700pro on DX9 games even when overclocked but outperforms 9600xt - great dx8 performance)
    9700pro - €230 (not far off a 9800pro.......need i say more :))
    9800pro - €266 (lol great card)

Best places ive seen for graphics cards would definetly be ....
    www.jes-computer.de
    www.komplett.ie

Prices above are from either site, should check em out.
    Basically depends on your budget but the more you can save the better the card, think ive listed the best performers from the various price ranges.....
    Only Nvidia card id even think of gettin is the 5900, the rest simply arent up to much..... dont go near the Fx5600.

• Advertisement

I have the same computer as David (we got basically the same hardware from the same place, Komplett) except my card is the above^^ mentioned 9600pro, well my 3dMark scores are 9800. I haven't overclocked yet but I will probably end up getting 11k at the best, why should david change his card from a very good card (for his needs all his games work perfectly and smoothly) pay EXTRA and get a 10-15% increase in performance??. There is no point your card is fine david, anyway your screen is pure crap:D, it's no use getting a 9800pro, let's say, and to still use your Packard Bell screen :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Originally posted by bizmark
    Just to piss you off i have my Geforce 5900lx at 475 mhz gpu and 900mhz ram (Woho i final fixed the overclocking tool problums) :D

Just to piss you off my 5900xt is running at 501mhz gpu and 950mhz ram :p

Hold it David you used Coolbits and put it to the same oced clock settings as what the Asus utility had the card at and your score DROPED 2000 points???:eek:. There is something fishy here....... Could you uninstall all your Asus drivers and utilities and then install Nvidias default drivers (I have the drivers if you want them) and then test what score you get then oc the card using coolbits. After all that get the Asus drivers from the web and oc your card using the Asus utility. Compare the scores if the differences are very large then someone cheated;) - Asus???. Do each test from a cold boot.

There is no point your card is fine david, anyway your screen is pure crap, it's no use getting a 9800pro, let's say, and to still use your Packard Bell screen .
    lol Offler :D!!

Your 9600pro should be getting a better 3dmark than that, am thinkin 11-12k atleast........ you should update the drivers(try different ones), your system is good overall.

I just ran 3dmark2001 (with my Xp2500+ downclocked to 2250mhz) with a Ti4200 128mb and im getting 11.5k without changing drivers at all or overclocking the card.......

Just to piss you off my 5900xt is running at 501mhz gpu and 950mhz ram

git :D

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Hold it David you used Coolbits and put it to the same oced clock settings as what the Asus utility had the card at and your score DROPED 2000 points???:eek:. There is something fishy here....... Could you uninstall all your Asus drivers and utilities and then install Nvidias default drivers (I have the drivers if you want them) and then test what score you get then oc the card using coolbits. After all that get the Asus drivers from the web and oc your card using the Asus utility. Compare the scores if the differences are very large then someone cheated;) - Asus???. Do each test from a cold boot.

yeah cool bits really messed it up i uninstalled everything yday nad reinstalled the asus drivers and the score went bac up to 9k so i think ill just leave it

so you tryed to overclcok with Coolbits and it went down in the 2001se score ?

You more than likely overclocked to much and missed the "sweet spot" effecting proformance.....The 5200 more than likely wont overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

Originally posted by KeithD
    Just to piss you off my 5900xt is running at 501mhz gpu and 950mhz ram :p

and Just to piss the two of u off.......the 9800xt by far a better card....haha

cant go wrong wit 9600xt by saphire or asus.....saphire being a bit more overclockable but asus has a bigger bundle.....
    the man is benchmarking so yes he would be right in changing his card....5200 sucks ass and uses passive cooling

Originally posted by freekhead
    5200 sucks ass and uses passive cooling
    Actually his has a fan and is far better then my card which I am happy with - thank you very much :cool: (all right my card is crap but it runs games, that's all I care about).

well he's worring bout getting a dicent score on 3dmark with a 5200 PICE OF S**T(sorry but thats what it is)..why overclock it????.. i have one here and they might play games but at what spec??? and for how long....he would get alright money for what he has and maby buy something that will give him a gd score but a few more months he wont get nothing for his card....its a shame to see a nice spec of a pc go to waist wit such a card :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Originally posted by freekhead
    and Just to piss the two of u off.......the 9800xt by far a better card....haha

Its also €200 dearer.

It is not in my opinion worth that much more for a card with only a marginal performance increase. Fair enough the frame rates with be slightly higher , and AA and AF will be better. But a 5900xt will die the same death as your 9800xt and not much sooner.

A 5900xt will benchmark , when overclocked , higher then a 9800xt stock. All for €200 less.

5900xt Vs 9600xt ………….

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q4/geforcefx-5900xt/index.x?pg=1

yeah hot enough to fry eggs off and they sound like tractors:)

Advertisement