Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dualing AMD Athlon XPs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Looks good but there would be problems with stablity and such...... Imagine Dual P4 3.2Ghz (4.4Ghz) Xeons are tooo expensive, imagine.....

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Havent read the article but i presume it goes something like ..... paint the L5 bridge to make the Xp CPU work as an MP one and use the socket wire trick to change the multiplier?

Firstly it is an easier task on the older type chips (ie 6months ago+) as the chips have changed slightly and there is a thicker coat of plastic over the bridges........ which means you have to scrape the plastic to make propper contact.

The newer chips are all locked so DONT go near them when concidering a Dual Conversion. The Dual MP boards have a limited FSB so require high multipliers to get decent processor speeds (typically 133-150mhz FSB max - 266-300mhz dual pumped). If you have an unlocked chip (2 of em) you will be able to mod the multiplier between 6-12.5x which probably wont be enough. You just do a simple wire socket trick to change it to whatever you want (easily reversable).....

lol actually theres not much point in me saying all this........... prob the best link you will ever find on this is here , step by step and includes everything you need to know including PSU etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm looking at building a dual L5-modded XP, with two XP2400s - dunno if they'll be thortons or thoroughbreds though.
    The 2Ghz clock speed (at 266FSB) requires a 15x multiplier, will an MSI K7D bring up the goods?
    Or do I need to hard mod the chips to the required multiplier (which would still require some sort of BIOS support I'd imagine)?

I don't plan to overclock them (will only be getting PC2100 ECC Reg ram in 1Gig sticks anyways), but I don't want to pay for two 2Ghz chips only to have em max out at 1.666Ghz.

Advertisement