Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Irish Show - SRL

Options
  • 27-01-2004 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

SRL - BBC2 Mondays @ 8 p.m

<webpage appears to be down atm>

Did anyone see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yup ive been watching that the last few weeks. Its pretty cool but a tad confusing cos im hopeless at understanding donegal accent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Conaic mé é uair nó dó tamaill ó shin. Bíonn sé air an deanach ar fad. Bhí sé simúil ar aon os!

I saw it once or twice a while back. Its on really late. It was interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

Originally posted by jesjes
    Bíonn sé air an deanach ar fad.

Could you explain the grammer of this sentance 2 me please? it has bíonn, but 2 nouns. and ar fhad means late? is it equivical to ar anonn that i found in this dict?

thanx:)

p.s. sorry for the digression>.^

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'd better wait for someone who can explain the rules better than me. But the sentance did mean "it does be on very late". I don't even know if that is good grammer, but it's what I'd say...so. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

"Ar fad" is a standard cliché (if you like) - in terms of sentence construction it's equivalent to saying "very", but used primarily to add emphasis or to mark the sentence as describing a superlative of some sort (in the same way that many English speakers of Irish descent would use "altogether" at the end of sentence).

Very basic example:
    "An fhuar" = "very cold"
    "An fhuar ar fad" ~= "extremely cold"

This superlative condition is sometimes further reemphasised by repetition ("ar fad ar fad", and so on)

Does that help?
    Gadget

• Advertisement
Advertisement