Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI motherboard wont power up

Options
  • 26-01-2004 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi guys

I bought a msi 648 mother board from peats just before christmas .
    I took it home and tried to power it up , I connected the 10 pin connecter and the 4 pin cpu connecter for the cpu , Also i plugged in a new P4 chip and 256 of ddr .
    but the board would nt boot ,I then tried another 350 watt power supply and still no joy .I took the board back to Peats had it tested and was told that the board was actual faulty

I then got another MSI 648 newer model board from peats and the same thing happened

I ve two questions

is 350 watts enough for a P4

does it matter what screws i use to screw the motherboard to the chasis for groung reasons

or any one have any ideas whats wrong !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

350Watts should be fine, it depends on the number and type of hard disks and other stuff (including gear connected to your USB ports) .. the second biggest power user in the computer is most likely your graphics card, newer ones are very power hungry ....
    About the mobo not booting.... is there any light at all?, is anything spinning? are lights coming on in any floppy or cdrom's attached? any beeps from the speaker (that you have connected, havent you;)) ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

the hard disks and stuff arent plugged in yet so that dosent come in to the equation yet so the power supply should be fine .....

there are no leds coming on and the fans arent even budging ....

the only noise is from one of the power supplies it makes a winding down noise
    when i turn it off

I tried the spaeker as well and there is no noise from it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by cormon

does it matter what screws i use to screw the motherboard to the chasis for groung reasons

Short answer. Yes. yes it does.
    The screw packet comes with spacer screws to keep the back off the case. If a certain part of the mobo touchs the case the board in effect will short and fry and prob fry the cpu and ram at the same time. Look at the mobos book. It should show you the pictures. It generally the area behind the cpu which is why alot of cases have an indent there.
    When you say it wont boot does any power go into it at all? ie. do fans spin on when it's plugged in do any of the LEDs on the board light up

No power at all its dead as a duck , I dont think the board could be fried
    because no power went into it at all ...no lights leds fan action nothing at all

there was no diagrams or mention on the manual about the spacers screws are they the gold ones !!!!!

• Advertisement

the gold ones are the spacer screws. If nothing happens on the baord then maybe something is really wrong. Are you 100% sure your plugging the switch into the right pins on the board. Try crossing them with a screwdriver to see if that lets it turn on.
    The fact that no LEDs are going on tho leads me to believe power isnt going thru the psu. I'm presuming that you've checked with different leads etc. Maybe thats where the problem is?
    Since you've tried two psu's thats where I'm thinking the problem is.

The fact that no LEDs are going on tho leads me to believe power isnt going thru the psu. I'm presuming that you've checked with different leads etc. Maybe thats where the problem is?

do you mean leads from the power on switch or leads from the PSU ,i presume you mean from the power switch , I m a bit unclear as to what you mean ??????

cheers mate , Thesee MSI boards are some pain

If no LEDs are going on then I'm thinking maybe you forgot to plug it in? Seriously tho the lead on the PSU could be at fault. Beyond that, if two PSU's give no power then maybe you were unlucky enough to get two faulty boards

I tried three different kettle leads i d also say its the board again

Thank for your time anyway mate back to the dicks in peats again !!!!!!!

bring everything uinto peats. let them look at the lot and find the problem. It's the easest thing to do really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by cormon
    I ve two questions

is 350 watts enough for a P4

350 watts can run a lot.

I'm currently running 3 server fans, one bogstandard case fan, dvd-burner, cd-burner, dvd-rom, zip dirve, two HD's, the venerable floppy, an rf transmitter, and, er, that's it I think off my 350w. I know I shouldn't, but i do.

Advertisement