Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halicrie

Options
  • 26-01-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

What is "halicrie"? its a genetics term, it doesnt seem to be in any genetics related texts and i cant find find it on the web. Does anybody have any idea what it means?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Google can't find it so it may be a typo or archane.

where did you see it spelt that way ?
    in what context..

Are you sure it was not a typo ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Halic would be a greek scientific term I'd say.

Hals is greek for salt so I suppose Halic would be salt-like or salty.

Halicrie may be referring to some organic salt but I've never heard the term so I couldn't be sure on that.

As the Capt says, if you give context I may be able to help more.

P.S. Just because something isn't on google doesn't mean its a typo or doesn't exist. I take a very dim view of people who "google" answers, mainly because there is no validation to the information they are "providing".

I could write a pile of crap on biology, get a high google rating and all of a sudden it'd be in biology essays around teh world. Yayy the interweb! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by syke
    P.S. Just because something isn't on google doesn't mean its a typo or doesn't exist.
    Hence the reference to archane :)

Google shows that it is not a term in common use - it could be a word invented by an author to save explaining a concept each time and thus would not have wide currency.

I dropped one letter at a time and got to Halic before any hits - and only 20 for hotels etc. (NaCl = Halide ?] )

Context would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Sorry guys i cant give it in any kind of context as i was only given the word aswell and told to find out what it means. Yeah, im sure thats the way its spelt. Thbaks anyway for your help.

Were you given the spelling or pronuncation and would it be a foreign word perhaps ?

And it's not a sequence of amino acids as they are normally in caps.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Tails
    Sorry guys i cant give it in any kind of context as i was only given the word aswell and told to find out what it means. Yeah, im sure thats the way its spelt. Thbaks anyway for your help.

Still, some context would help, as in where you were given the word or what the person does and what context they received it in.

As it stands I would imagine that it is something to do with salt binding and interaction with DNA. Some halides form adducts with DNA and can lead to carcinigenesis. Other than that, I'm stumped.

A lecturer gave it to everybody in the genetics courses to see if anybody could figure it out. I know its something got to do with genetics in some aspect. So Syke's answer could be on the right track.

any particular part of the genetics course?

bacterial/animal cell? etc etc

Did he say it or spell it ?

Silicon based lifeforms wouldn't use DNA would they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

when you go into college do a search on wos.heanet.ie for the term, most universities and institutes have access to this service, and if you type in the term it will show you any papers that have been written on the subject. you might then be able to see what context the term is used in in genetics.

see here

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Silicon based lifeforms wouldn't use DNA would they ?

What?

We werent told what part of the course it came from but the outside speaker who is coming,and we were told we would find out what it means then, is coming to give lecture about the drosophila fly so i presume it has to do with animal cells.

Originally posted by syke
    What?
    Trolls ;)

drosophila - it's got giant chromosomes in it's saliva glands, but that slightly off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

/me sits back and laughs at Capt and syke!

Good Luck tails!

~DR~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Tails has never come back and told us....so NO!

~DR~

Yeah sorry bout the delayed reply, in the speech given halicre it wasnt mentioned once! but apparently "somebody heard from somebody" who asked him thats its a breed of drosophila fly

http://flybrain.uni-freiburg.de/Flybrain/html/docs/links.html

http://www.shigen.nig.ac.jp/fly/nigfly/readme_E.php
    We are mainteining about 1000 of Drosophila melanogaster mutant stocks and about 150 of several Drosophila species collected in various locations in Japan and in abroad. They will be distributed to any researchers upon request, without charge.

The stocks are listed in two separate files (tab delimited ASCII text file)

Advertisement