Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O Carroll Kelly

Options
  • 25-01-2004 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

any of ye read 'im

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

read it every sunday, never got any of the books, think its very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

read it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i did, all about his dad wanting to get yer man, and then it all working the other way

I know its brilliant. In the book Hennessy was in America on the run and he met Ross(who was on holidays/working/the lash) and ross tirned him in for the reward!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Read the first book. It was very good. They started fla'ing it a bit then, tho'.

• Advertisement

I think the books are great. Less PC than the colume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Read both books. Hilarious with a capital H :)
    I hope Mr. Howard will be releasing another volume soon.

BTW Which paper are the columns printed in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

The back page of the main section of the Sunday Tribune each week. Never miss it. Read the books too. Great stuff.

How many books are there? Ive never missed an article in the Trib but Ive only one book; the teenage dirtbag years.....and all of a sudden im not constapated anymore!

Originally posted by Vader
    How many books are there? Ive never missed an article in the Trib but Ive only one book; the teenage dirtbag years.....and all of a sudden im not constapated anymore!

Roysh, there's a follow up novel entitled The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappuccino Years which has some damn funny moments such as the job with JP's dad, the Blind Date escapade and the "cat" incident among others. :D

There's another book "The miseducation of Ross O Carroll-Kelly" mentioned in the "Other books by Paul Howard" but I've yet to track it down.

Only got my mitts on "Teenage Dirtbag" a few weeks ago in Dublin airport (and no I wasn't going on a 'knacker holiday' ;) )

Totally cool and the gang. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It's excellent, and the reason is because it's so true. Went to school in D4 and encountered many Ross O'Carroll Kelly's in my time! Also like the fact that he's just such a complete bastard, but doesn't try to hide it from the reader. My friend knows Paul Howard, and how the whole thing started. Apparently he was following around the rugby team of a certain rugby school, for the whole senior cup season. He was going to write about it at the end, but the editor wouldn't allow him cos he was afraid of the paper being sued by the lawyers for the school. So Howard wrote Ross O'Carroll Kelly instead, based on the experiences!

PS: for a hint as to which school I'm on about, see Ross's initials!

LOL I never noticed that about his initials! :D
    Do you know is he writing another novel in the series anytime soon?

It'd be great to see a TV comedy series based on the stories.

It was pointed out ages ago in that little txt ross bit under the main article ages ago. So wheres he from, Blackrock or castlerock (He says hes from castle rock doesnt he?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

There's no such place as castlerock, it's an analgamation of Castleknock and Blackrock. They really didn't want to be sued! I have to agree that a Ross O'Carroll Kelly film would be brilliant though. Wonder who would play him:dunno:

ME!

Isnt it funny the way every guy claims to be Ross even though the point of the books/colume is that he's a totla ass.

Whats a mounty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 G-RÓID

mounty=girl who goes to mountanville school aka mountanything commonly caked with makeup fake tan wearin abercrombie dubarry, sailin shoes,an o neil track suit bottoms,pussies like buckets!

collars up knickers down!

gota love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Ah here if you don't know what a Mounty is you def. wouldn't be getting the role! Never noticed that about his initials.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I haven't got my hands on 'PS I Scored the Bridesmaids' yet, is it any good?

The other books made me laugh so much, the characters display so many traits of people I know! Even small scenes like Ross's mother attempting to place an ad in a paper for a cleaning lady and being put out by being forced to be PC made me laugh really hard, because it's so typical. Ok, it mightn't be the highest form of literature, but the books made me laugh out loud while reading them on the dart

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Just finished reading The Miseducation Years. Very funny, had a good few laughs reading it. Always read it on the Tribune. Last week he was talking about 'Clontorf' and as I'm from Clontarf it was somewhat humorous.. :rolleyes:

We are not the D4s of the northside! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

G-R&#211 wrote: »
    mounty=girl who goes to mountanville school aka mountanything commonly caked with makeup fake tan wearin abercrombie dubarry, sailin shoes,an o neil track suit bottoms,pussies like buckets!

collars up knickers down!

gota love them!
    ah mounties aren't all like that...!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

wait....
    Ross O carrol Kelly.
    That D4 head who pretends to be a "semi-skanger"?
    in literature?
    Loike, For focks sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I know lots of guys who are exactly like Ross O'Carroll Kelly... and loads of girls who think (even though he's a complete self-centered ass) that he's completely cool and the gang...

I loved the books though. They are just too true to life.

Not all Mounties are as bad as they can be made out to be... there are one or two semi-ok Mounties. Whoever commented on the dubes and o'neills is totally right... apart from discos, I doubt i've ever seen a mounty in anything else...

Advertisement