Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS upgrade went wrong :(

Options
  • 25-01-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭

Ok my friends pc was giving the following Error

FDC failed
    Press F1 to resume

I got the correct AMI Bios updated and .ROM file and booted up from a cd copied the files to the C drive and ran the AMI update this said could not complete update please disable USB, after a reboot the system is just beeping and giving no display , Prior to this the system would not boot anyway but I had a display, What are my options now or have I got any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

you just need to get the right bios for the motherboard and save it to a formatted floppy disk and name it bios.rom

once you get it running again, post up the system spec if you are still getting the same error

edit <sorry i ment rename it to AMIBIOS.ROM in caps>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭tech

How can I reflash it , as now I have no display, I have tired putting in a PCI video but still the same no Video display , will I have to buy a new board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

take out the battery for 15 mins and then retry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Some CMOS Batteries need to come out for 2/3 days, but I don't think thats your problem.
    The initial FDC failure means, floppy disk controller failed, meaning your floppy A:\ drive wasn't working.
    You flashed your bios, and it's gone.
    You will need to replace the chip, have a look at
    http://www.badflash.com/
    There is a walkthrough from VIA
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=194
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

How can I reflash it

you just need to get the right bios for the motherboard and save it to a formatted floppy disk and name it AMIBIOS.ROM disk must have nothing else on it

on some boards you have to hold down ctrl & home buttons

• Advertisement
Advertisement