Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends ERC results

Options
  • 25-01-2004 12:38am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭


    Ulster's out, Leinster & Munster have it all to play for.

    Hopefully Sale will do Leinster a favour tomorrow by beating Biarritz ..helping Leinster's cause to finish top.

    Gloucester got the bonus point against Bourgoin tonight (4th try in the last minute) and will probably get the BP v Treviso at home next week ...so Munster will need the 4 tries BP v Bourgoin next Saturday @ Thomond to finish top of the table. They should get it ...with a good chance of a QF v Gloucester @ Thomond :D

    <edit> ..and Connacht got an away win


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl


    This post has been deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm


    Originally posted by daveirl
    Now, Now, Ulster stil have a mathematical chance of qualification!
    'fraid not ..even with a win and a BP next week against Dragons, they can't top the pool and they won't have enough match points to qualify as a runner-up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell


    Tis a shame Ulster are out. Got quiet the shock when I saw Domingez playing for Stade, thought he was dead or something. 2 irish teams with home draws in the final 8 isn't bad for a weekends work and Connacht look likely to progress to the semi's in the parker pen, hope they win it this year just to put it up to the IRFU.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73


    Originally posted by Jilm
    Ulster's out, Leinster & Munster have it all to play for.

    Hopefully Sale will do Leinster a favour tomorrow by beating Biarritz ..helping Leinster's cause to finish top.

    Gloucester got the bonus point against Bourgoin tonight (4th try in the last minute) and will probably get the BP v Treviso at home next week ...so Munster will need the 4 tries BP v Bourgoin next Saturday @ Thomond to finish top of the table. They should get it ...with a good chance of a QF v Gloucester @ Thomond :D

    <edit> ..and Connacht got an away win

    They will definitely get the bonus point next Saturday and finish top of the group and probably seeded second.

    They cant however meet Gloucester in the QF. If Munster are seeded second and Gloucester are seeded 7th they cant meet in the QF because they came from the same group. The 7th and 8th seeds will be then be switched.

    They can however meet in the semi as it is an open draw.


  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm


    Originally posted by bucks73
    They will definitely get the bonus point next Saturday and finish top of the group and probably seeded second.
    I'd say Munster will probably get the 5 points from the game ...but there are no definites in this game :D
    I can see Munster get top seeding (doubtful Toulouse will put 4 tries past Edinburgh, or Wasps getting 4 at Perpignan, Munster could finish on same match points as Toulouse but with more tries)
    Originally posted by bucks73
    They cant however meet Gloucester in the QF. If Munster are seeded second and Gloucester are seeded 7th they cant meet in the QF because they came from the same group. The 7th and 8th seeds will be then be switched.
    There is no such rule ...so its possible Munster could be playing Gloucester in the QF (as Toulouse could be playing Edinburgh), its happened before in the competition.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell


    10 week lay off to the quarters after next weekend as well. 10 weeks for injuries in the 6N.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer


    It's a tightrope this ERC.

    If Munster get a bonus point this weekend they have a home tie, probably against Edinburgh. If they stonk Bourgoing by 30 points but only score three tries, assuming Gloucester score four against TReviso, then Munster have an away tie, probably against Toulouse. Bummer.

    Leinster could be right up against it in Biarritz. They have to get a bonus point at least or they're out. Where's that going to come from? With Hickie, O'Driscoll and Comteponi missing from the backs they're unlikely to get four tries and with Leek at fly half they'll do well to get penalties. Could be an early exit for them.

    Predictions:

    Munster to go through as runners up but lose next round to Toulouse

    Leinster to go out this weekend.

    Connacht to progress to PPC semifinal. Fair play to them. I bet the IRFU are praying that they don't win it, because if they do they qualify automatically for the HC next season. Who will drop out?


  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL


    I thought Warner was back in? It will still be tough alright. The injury list is quite impressive


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell


    Leinster can't go out this weekend. Away quarter final.

    Munster should thump Bourgoin. Home quarter.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk


    Originally posted by GreenHell
    Leinster can't go out this weekend. Away quarter final.

    think again :(

    brilliant to see Munster top their pool though :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell


    Thought they had acquired enough points already. Oh well too bad :)

    Munster are doing really well when you think they have played one game at their best this season.


Advertisement