Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 24-01-2004 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to leave you pc's case side off for a bit while its running ?

i ask because at this point i have no chouse with the side on the cpu can run up to 72 c :( with it off its down to 55-60

have to get a new cpu heatsink now :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

How hot does the air inside the case get?
    Have you got any fans to extract hot air from the case?

If the CPU runs cooler with the case cover off then its either because heat is building up inside the case or the case is restricting airflow through the CPU heatsink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Yeah it's normally grand unless your in a very dusty place and have been using air filters or the likes. I used to run my system with the side off mainly because I was installing stuff the whole time.
    In short, yes it is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you components will be more liable to gathering dust though so keep an eye on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the case heat never gets above 28-30 and i have 2 120mm fans 1 for a intake one for blowing it out the back

so i really dont know......:(

perhaps the heatsink was knocked on installation of your graphics card, it may just need to be reseated with a nice application of thermal paste or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Thats a bit on the hot side for me, try switching the airflow..... ie change from blowing to sucking. 2x120mm fans should be plenty all the same. You dont have a Palmino chip by any chance?

Mabye a new HSF if your worried, or try taking off your one and cleaning the dust out from it..... new thermal paste and re-sit it??

You dont have a Palmino chip by any chance?

no its a 2600xp 333mhz which isnt the palmino
    Mabye a new HSF if your worried, or try taking off your one and cleaning the dust out from it..... new thermal paste and re-sit it??

Ya i could do that im just worried about installing a new heatsink from what i downloaded from amd's site and have been reading it doesnt look hard but i have never done it before :(

It could be the g-card its HUGE 5900lx almost cuts the case in half....but im not getting rid of that

Your idea of changeing the fans around might work if it drags it in the back it might get more air to the heat sink ......but the fan on the front would be blowing over the hard drive so that would heat up a bit as well :rolleyes:

If the cpu is that high with the case that low then I'm thinking either your sensor is wrong (try touching the heatsink - may not be hot depending on how the temp is measured) I'd strongly recommend you take of the Heatsink and get some good paste and put it back on. Idling at 72C is too hot and during high cpu usage you risk damaging it or kicking it out.
    Check the bios too, voltages etc. They may have set to high or something by accident which could cause the high temps. Vcore of around 1.6-1.8 depending on how it's setup is normal

can u touch the heat sink with out cuseing damage to the pc ?

vcore a is 1.7 v

yeah you can. I reg do "touch" it for cleaning the heatsink. I've a zalmon flower cooler which picks up alot of dust which sucks but provided your hands are clean no damage should be done.

• Advertisement

ok did the touchy feely thing to the heat sink and it sure as hell doesnt feel 66c (like easy tune 4 and the bios says)

Its warm yes but it's far from hot ....... so could it be the temp monitor is just f-ed up

As u got a gigabyte board. Easytune is the one I got. It reads the internal temp of the cpu so it give a hotter temp than others would give but it is more acurate (in theory) 72 is still way to hot. My heatsink doesnt feel warm even and mine runs at 55c on idle.
    One thing I'm wondering, how much does the case temp go up when the side is on?

the case temp doesnt really drop or go up with the side on or off tbh not much to be noticable......at the mo the temp is 27 c with the side on

its only the cpu heat that goes down by 6-10 c

anyone want to send me 4,000 euro for a alienware area 51 :D sort all theis problums out ;)

Originally posted by Ryaner
    As u got a gigabyte board. Easytune is the one I got. It reads the internal temp of the cpu so it give a hotter temp than others would give but it is more acurate (in theory) 72 is still way to hot. My heatsink doesnt feel warm even and mine runs at 55c on idle.
    One thing I'm wondering, how much does the case temp go up when the side is on?

ryanaer do you know where the case sensor is on a gigabyte motherboard, i was thinking perhaps the gfx card is restricting upwards air flow in the case, and that if the m/b case sensor was down low it won't be detecting this, of course if the sensor is up near the cpu it throws this out the window and dances all over my theory and then points and laughs

If the case temp dont change and cpu one does then something is really amiss there. Both are kinda related in an aircooling setup. Best thing is try reseating the cooler. I tried the stock amd cooler for a while and it actually gave very good results. As good as my zalmon but then thats there for silent cooling so.

As for the temp sensor. I'm not completely sure. It does change on different boards. What model do you have and I'll find out for you exactly where it is. Thing to note: heat rise. The sensor isnt as the top of the case anyway so the case temp is always diff in reality then the sensor espec if you dont have an exhaust of the top of the case. If it is being blocked by the Gfx card then yes that would explain the hot temps. On the cpu. Soon as case side goes on the top temps would spike and the case temp sensor wouldnt notice anything really

Advertisement