Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox repair - power supply fuse

Options
  • 24-01-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

My xbox has stopped working. I think it may be the power supply (their is not reaction when i plug it in and press the ON button).

I've looked at the possible solution of replacing the fuse on the power supply (http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/replace-fuse.php). This seems simple enough. The problem is that this solution talks about a US power supply.

...So, i was wondering if anyone could help me find the position of the fuse (if any) on the IRE/UK power supply!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

heya,

it should be the same - give it a bash - might be interested in taking it off your hands for parts if you have no joy give me a shout - I could take a look at it anyhow

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

their are some differences that i cant figure out (see attachment)

the power supplies vary alot anyhow - but the large bit you highlighted is because it's 220v - you'll find a smaller version somewhere on the 110v psu - have a root around you should be able to find the fuse - i might do some investigating when i get home to see if i can find the general area where the fuse is

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

have never seen the inards of an x-box before but that thing you pointed out is a transformer converting from 220ac to whatever dc...usualy the fuse will be very close to the power input..boards work from input oneside to output the other side. is the fuse before that transformer, because thats where it shuld be follow the tracks from the start of the input what are the first components they meet????

i took a pic of my psu - i think the fuse is just under the transformer - never saw a fuse like this but it says 2.5a - can someone confirm that there are fuses like these?

• Advertisement

god damn it ;)

have a look at farnell you might find something there

you got power coming in from mains and the fuse acts as a protector for the rest of the internal circuit ie: before any conversion, so its just a 2.5Amp fuse with a fast acting responce because of the high power entering the board so as not to damage the rest of the components

seen some replacement power supplies but they retail at €30 so wise choice on deciding to fix it yourself

www.electronic-devices.com //cheapest i could find based in italy shipping aint to bad

it would be easy to desolder the one you have and maby pop into maplin see what they have there.. dont expect them to know much bout components though..
    just heat up the pads with the soldering iron and if you dont have a sucker(desolder) just wipe the acess on a cloth and pop the component out

is it shrink wrap over the component sides or a plastic case

one thing have you a multimeter of some sort do a continuity test on the fuse...it checks to see if it is blown...

let me know how you get on in mapplin.. ill be in college sometime this week might find one there..lots of components at a five fingered discount:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

be careful when you order the PSU... the connector for version 1.0 and 1.1 is different than 1.2+.

• Advertisement
Advertisement