Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Tax

Options
  • 23-01-2004 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

If I buy a crap load of hardware from the states and have it delivered here to Ireland ... will i have to pay those bastards in Govt. any money? :)

I always thought that electronic components were exempt .. but built pc's werent???

Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check this thread -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132969

which has a very uselful link near the bottom...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

excellent thanks ... just realised that this is slightly off-forum-topic .. but it has to do with tweaking and modding :)

so as it says ... 2% ya?

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heres the full list - http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarsect?Lang=EN&Taric=2000000000&ProdLine=00&SimDate=20040104&Country=
    &Download=0&Periodic=0&YesNo=1&Indent=-1&Action=1#OK

but I cant even see computers or similair!

Remember the biggest tax is VAT not imprt duty so add
    21%!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Yeah I've had problems with importing stuff. Got stuff from canada. Two got thru ok and 1 got caught. It worked out about 25%extra on the total cost(inc the shipping) It was mainly a hassle because it got stuck in customs for a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey daniel what are you thinkin of buying ?? make a bit of a list of what your thinkin about and we can give you a hand sourcing it......... it will prob work out around the same price (roughly) and you wont have to worry about import tax!!

Delivery is a killer, and you really can get stung with tax which when its added on is generally more than prices in europe from what ive seen.

Colin

• Advertisement

When I ordered form canada, the items were still cheaper than buying over here. Espec the monitor. I wont be buyin again tho. Watch yourself with stuff like returns etc. It can be very very expensive when that comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Hey daniel what are you thinkin of buying ?? make a bit of a list of what your thinkin about and we can give you a hand sourcing it......... it will prob work out around the same price (roughly) and you wont have to worry about import tax!!

i'm just looking on pricewatch ... some bloody amazing prices, but if i could afford to buy anything, and could find one to deliver to ireland, i'd get raped on import tax if i was caught :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

you must pay 21% vat on total cost including delivery what a joke....you dont pay any vat if it is sent through post or marked as present/gift....got my 9800 pro for €220. MB was €50 cheaper no vat either but i was stung with the processor 21% which still ment it was a tenner cheaper than here.. all the boxes i received excluding the processor had gift marked on them...one other thing a bit off topic, everything going through America passes GLS logistics and they a brutel.. has anyone had any problems with them at all

GLS, the company Komplett has started using aswell as DHL. They have huge delays on some packages. It sucks ass.
    Most things posted wont get caught. They only actually check random shippments but everyone knows their luck. Order something expensive and it'll get caught making it more than it would of cost over here.

Check out these sites for reasonable delivery and cheap cheap prices...

www.jes-computer.de (has english version, €17 ish delivery) - Great prices great stock.
    www.computeruniverse.net (also english version of the site) - Big range of stock good prices
    www.komplett.ie (prices a bit more expensive than jes-computers, great supplier and cheap delivery)
    www.xcase.co.uk (huge ranges of you guessed it cases).
    www.excaliberpc.com (usa site, if you need small things ie under $150 and under 2lbs these are great, shipping is like €9-10) - good if you want ram, a cpu etc..... generally get away with vat as they use post (i got away with it anyway) ...

These are some sites to use, prob the best around that ive seen (and i look around alot) . Try em out and compare to usa price..... hope its a little helpfull.

i'm just looking on pricewatch ... some bloody amazing prices, but if i could afford to buy anything, and could find one to deliver to ireland, i'd get raped on import tax if i was caught

lol , Yea im thinkin the exact same..... have looked into it and just get frustrated and end up looking for european suppliers .

• Advertisement

Thanks for those links. JES is very very cheap. They use GLS to post tho :( Order and might get it few weeks later.
    Have you any dealings with returns or the cust support for them?

Jus ordered a load of stuff from jes tanx for the link...and no you dont have to use gls they have an option for dutch post...

S&H came to €19 a little more than gls but at least i dont have to collect the stuff my self in blanchardstown
    do gls deliver at all or jus send you a card saying problem with order please call in to us and collect yourself cause we couldnt be arsed haha -happened me four times with four orders from them at least they are consistant

Ill let you know how i get on

haha got me some more unreal tourney fan grills and thermalright sp 94 best cooler on the planet

Have you any dealings with returns or the cust support for them?

Will have in about 5 mins, have been saving up for a few bits and pieces and these guys are mighty impressive TBH. Even some big savings over komplett and thats saying something !! And a 9700pro for €230 .......... thats nice. Poor credit card is going to get a beating.

[edit] PS the cheapest place ive seen for the artic cooler, half the price most places charge.

that 9700pro will realy up your benchmark...and those coolers are the dogs b***ox can up my gpu 80mhz so far

got a mail from jes in german??? had to get my sis to translate jus means everything went well and my order has been shipped

Am just after ordering ......

9700pro - €230
    160gb Samsung 8mb cache H/Disk - €112
    Artic Cooler - €13 (only thats fantastic)
    And a hard disk caddy.....

Thats goin to keep me happy for a while :) .
    How quiet is the Artic cooler by the way? And is it adjustable or something?

I noticed the other postal option now so yah. Will be ordering off them tonight. Network router is so cheap. Was originally gonna go to peats then saw itdirect had it cheaper. then elara and now these. Saving myself over 110euro on it now.
    As for the german thing, the link for english on the right doesnt work too well so I suggest just using it thru the google translate tool.
    http://www.google.com/language_tools
    That will put everything except the images into english for you making it alot easier to use :D

This is from the site

Noise level, example on the basis the Radeon 9800 pro:
    ATI's 9800Pro standard more cooler 100%
    VGA more silencer (high fan number of revolutions) 100%
    VGA more silencer (low number of revolutions) 50%

Cooling performance:
    ATI's 9800Pro standard of cooler 79.6°C
    VGA more silencer (high number of revolutions) 47.1°C
    VGA more silencer (low number of revolutions) 58.0°C

This is from a link on the site
    High rpm - 35.2 dB(a)
    Low rpm - 21.6 dB(a)

Ohh that is just sweet, am real happy with that now !! Replacing my 120gb WD which is annoyin the hell out of me........... roll on quiet samgsung.

I have a zalman heatpipe on my other Ti4200 so if the artic cooler is louder than advertised ill prob swap it. This is the last step for silence and 3dmarks should be a little more impressive :) .

PS will be using google to translate the site for me in future, few things i was wondering about (finally figured out what the ment but took a while) .

Cheers, Loki

The zalmon heatpipe is sweet once you dont start OCin too much. Cant beat it on silence tho - obviously.
    Anyone know if I buy a router off them if it's going to be in german on the internal stuff or can that be set or would I need to flash it with the english one?

artic cooler is as quiet as a mouse realy it is.anyway the standard fans on ati's aint loud.. there is a two speed variable switch on it so what ever suits you..core clock can still go higher but i wana wait let the cooler settle in first
    was getting 19,800 on 3dmark2001 now im hitting 21,000
    3dmark03 was 6,300 now 7,200 so it does make a big difference

when installing the cooler make sure you but the bracket on the i/o ports dont worry u'll know what im talking bout when you see it..i had to take the damn cooler off again to put it on

i also went to maplin to get some ram sinks for the g-card they wanted €16 for cool master ones so i popped over to pc world (yeah i know) and they had them for €6 big saving...my sis is living in germany for years so she translated it for me.....tanx for the link though saves a lot of bother

haha quiet???? got a thermalright sp94 with a 92mm fan 120cfm and a noisy 52db
    but i rigged up a variable res so its around 35db...but at full wack can get cpu over 3.9 but i cant hear myself tink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

wow those pices are good. keep us updated on Delivery times and customer service (if needed).

there doesn't seem to be an option for credit card payment or am i missing it? seems to be only pre-pay (into account) or paypal. euggh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

very useful thread with info on import taxes from outside the EU and cheap websites within the EU, thanks guys.
    BTW when you order from within the EU is the VAT rate charged at the rate of the country you're buying from or will it be charged at the Irish rate?

Advertisement