Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching heatsink/fan to CPU

Options
  • 23-01-2004 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I'm pulling together a small machine for the youngfella and I have a PIII 850 in one hand with a heatsink/fan combo in the other. I thought all that I needed was a bit of thermal compound to stick them together so I got some. But it doesn't seem to be adhesive. After looking around it seems that I can get a new clip on heatsink/fan or is there some sort of adhesive compound I can get? I'm in the Dublin area so if anyone can make any suggestions I'd be very grateful. Is this what I'm after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

NO!

That stuff is conductive and you'll short out the cpu.
    You can get non-conductive thermal adhesive, but i thought that was mostly used for attaching heatsinks to ram etc.
    Also the weight of the heatsink/fan wouldn't be good if it was stuck to the cpu.
    You're really looking for a heatsink/fan that will clip on to the motherboard, that's the standard way of mounting them.
    Doing it that way you need some thermal compound, non-adhesive.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You're right. A re-read of the description showed the conductive property and that it's really meant/used for repair work.

I'll pick up something over the weekend along the lines of a clip on.

Thanks for the advice.

There are different clips for different cpu/motherboard combinations.
    Try and find out exactly what you have before you buy anything.

Killian

It's a PIII so it's Socket 370. This seems to get good reviews. It's only €20 as well.

Yeah, that one looks just fine.
    You'll need some thermal compound.
    You can get coolermaster thermal compound in maplins in town.
    There will probably be some on the heatsink, but i would recommend you take it off and apply your own.
    When you're seating the heatsink, if you don't get it on first time i'd recommend redoing the thermal compound to be safe. It can be a pain, but better to be safe than sorry.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I have a PIII heatsink and fan - you can have it for free if you want.

e-mail me at oneillbri@hotmail.com

B

Where are you based B? I'm in Dublin. Can you give me any details about it?

Just found the same product in IT Direct for €14. Thing is, I'll be going into town anyway to pick up a HD as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Its from a gateway PIII 800 - just took it out the other day - cooled a machine for 5 years... looks like its made from black carbon or some such stuff - no copper anyway - little fan attached to top of it - I'll throw it in the post to ya if you like... if its just for a knockabout machine it should do the job and save you a few quid

mail me your address at teh above email and I'll send it on toyou if you want it....

Advertisement