Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power sources

Options
  • 21-01-2004 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

I got a portable dvd player/tv for my birthday. It can run off the 12v or the mains with a step down transformer. I was wondering if there was any way to power this from a battery or something.
    I'd like to be able to use it on the train coz that wud just kick ass!
    Aswell as that It'd be nice if same power source could be used to power a ps2 (not at the same time!) so I cud play that in the car.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A small UPS could be used - most APC ones can be tuned on, other brands may not switch on unless connected to the mains.
    Inverters will also convert 12V from a cigarette lighter to mains...

Someone who has taken a PS2 apart might know what voltages it uses inside.... - only if the PSU is on a separate board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm not very electronically minded, could you explain what a UPS is? How it works, where to get one etc.
    Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

UPS - uninteruptable power supply

sry that's all i know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

ok. i must find out if that can be used anywhere or is it chargable etc.
    Anyone else know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A UPS has three things - a Lead acid Battery , a charger to charge the battery and an inverter to produce mains voltage from the battery - all in one very Heavy box (ie. not suited to ordering off the web)

http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/components/index.htm#ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by emmettogara
    I got a portable dvd player/tv for my birthday. It can run off the 12v or the mains with a step down transformer. I was wondering if there was any way to power this from a battery or something.
    I'd like to be able to use it on the train coz that wud just kick ass!
    Aswell as that It'd be nice if same power source could be used to power a ps2 (not at the same time!) so I cud play that in the car.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

If it takes 12V, find out the current rating and find a battery that can supply the current.
    Thing is, it's a CRT, so there's feck all chance of it lasting more than an hour at best.
    Running a PS2 aswell has no chance.
    The power configuration needed wouldn't be clean or efficient enough.
    Have you ever felt how hot your PS2 gets?
    Remember there's a fan in the back for a reason, to pump out the hot air.
    That heat is the amout of power the machine uses, and the heat required to warm up the air and the casing/components is quite a bit.
    more then any portable battery could manage.
    If you want a portable DVD player why not jsut get one of those panasonic TFT note-book sized things?
    They are portable because all they need to power is the drive motor and actuators, the screen (which is small and TFT => far less power required compared to CRTs), the MPEG2/Audio decoders and the screen driver/speakers.

Give up on it.
    It's a pipedream with no future in today's world.

Of course, if it's only going to be in the car then that's a different story :)
    The TV/DVD player will probably run off the cigarette lighter, but you'd want to check the current supply to it.
    If not, check the specs of your car and fine a 12V line that can provide the ampage.
    And PS2s have been modded into many a boy-racer's bit-o-speed, so I guess it is posible, but afaik the PS2 mods were rather expensive, and a bit pointless unless it's for the kids/a quick game whist waiting at the traffic lights.

Don't forget that the 12V in a car can be as much as 14.3 Volts ( higher voltages when engine running faster - lower when engine stopped and battery is low)

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Don't forget that the 12V in a car can be as much as 14.3 Volts ( higher voltages when engine running faster - lower when engine stopped and battery is low)
    3-phase voltage regulator :)

Advertisement