Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation Please.

Options
  • 19-01-2004 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been working on learning Gaeilge for years and it is coming painfully slowly, (living in California mite have a little to do with that). So I am working on making signs and the one I am currently working on is "Please place aluminium cans here".

So if anyone could help me I would be grateful.

I am also working on a tee shirt for a friend and she wants it to read "A man did this to me." or "My husband did this to me".

TIA

Aimireal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

"Please place aluminium cans here".

Cuir cannaí alúmanaim anseo le do thoil.
    A man did this to me

Fear a rinne é seo liom.
    My husband did this to me

Mo fhear céile a rinne é seo liom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

"My husband did this to me".

Rinne mo fhear chéile é seo dom.

I'd recommend www.irishtranslator.com if you need more. :D

Rinne mo fhear chéile é seo dom.

That means My husband did this for me.

The whole thing sounds really sinister in Irish!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Originally posted by simu
    Fear a rinne é seo liom.

The only reason I said anything difrent was because liom at the end of that sentance is wrong. Dom is to me. But I do understand what your saying. I think it just has two meanings.

'é' can be used as for me, and did this to me

Well, all i know is that in Munster you'd say "fear a dhein é seo liom" but I changed the verb to rinne to make it more standardised. Maybe that's why it sounds weird!

it's not the kind of thing you'd ever hear ppl say though but I've often heard stuff like "Cad a dhein sé leat?", "cad a dheinis leis an madra?" etc - that's where i got it from!

• Advertisement

Ah ha, its a canúint! That figures. I would use liom as with me. As in 'dean é liom' 'do it with me'. Hehe, its not ment to be dirty. But then I have Dublin irish so....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

"liom" is with me. You need to use dom.

"Rinne fear seo dhom"

No shemiú on DTNLS so it would be

Rinne fhear seo dom

Oh and past tense takes a 'h', right?

No séimhiú on "Rinne", even though it's past tense. There would be on "Dhein".
    DTNLS
    ??

Nonono! hehe. Seimhú on fhear!

DTNLS are the letters that do not take a 'h', so dhom would be wrong.

• Advertisement

The letter "d" can take a seimhiu, as in "dhein mé". I'm not sure about "dhom", it's just when I said the sentence to myself, I had a séimhiú in there. But that could be just my style of speaking

Well where you are from seems to effect what you say. So its cool.

WE ARE ALL RIGHT!!!!:D

"Fear is cúis leis seo!" (This is a man's doing)

or

"Is fear a d'fhág mar seo mé!" (It was a man who left me in this state)

are probably better translations, now that I think of it!

They are much better. ;) Good man Simu.

Hope this thread wasn't too confusing, Amireal (the thread starter).

Actually, it would be fun doing a thread where people would have to come up with translations for things in Irish - you could do silly ones like translating jingles in ads or chart titles maybe!

That could be fun. Our teachers used to make us do that. If we were singing, they would say : Chán é sin as gaeilge. And then you'd have to translate it.

The latest one was *dún é, dún é, just dún é, dún é,*

Terrible.

"Fear is cúis leis seo!"

that's much better, not as literal, but gives the exact meaning,

Advertisement