Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Question - Corner Fireplaces

Options
  • 19-01-2004 12:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads a very strange one but advice, experiences appreciated.

I am thinking on wheather or not to have a corner fireplace or not. I think it would look well, It will be a raised fireplace with a "silver" natural stone finish, grantite surround and think "rough" plank mantle.
    Now I think having it in the corner will release more space in the sitting room and not have it in the centre.
    The other arguement is that the room is too big to have it in the corner (15ft * 15ft) and also that it will be cold.,.,
    Someone else mentioned that having it in the corner and directly across from the door will cause draft. Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

15x15' isn't too big for a corner fireplace, imho. By the time your finished with the surround, you'll be well into the room.

Is the fire going to be in use all the time?
    Fit a back boiler, nothing worse than wasting energy in a good looking fire!

Draft, possibly, is there seating between the fireplace & the door?

is the door in the opposite corner?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry the room is 15ft * 15ft sq.

The size of the fireplace is not decided yet, what ever a standard fireplace is...

It will not be the main source of heat at all, still undecided as to wheather I have a gas(flame effect, very real) or a solid fuel fire (hassle of it pains me)

The main heat source for the house is underfloor and it is a timber frame so it will be very heat efficent anyway.

Give u a picture, if u come in the door, the fireplace is facing u in the corner, the intention was to have a couch between the door and the fireplace as if the fireplace takes a five foot "footprint on the wall, then a two seater between it and the door there is still room as u go in the door.

The if u look the left of the fireplace will be the television unit (have a 33" stadium screen) so this will be a big unit, there will be a bay window which will have a chair in front of this.

On the walll opposite the tele will be a 3 seater.

I just do not know to be honest.....

cheers

[URL=http://]http://www.scanhome.ie/[/URL] mate of mine has one of these, excellent house.

He put a stove in the sitting room, no draft.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Lad will have a look

Who's the company your getting the frame off?

What size & price?

• Advertisement

Neither decided yet, puttin out for tender in the next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Only thing about a corner fireplace, if it's an outer wall's corner, two of the fireplace's three sides are going to be heating the world out there, instead of heating your room.

On the other hand, I have a corner fireplace in a boxroom; very nice it is. Cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ideally position the chimney in the centre of the building - least heat loss. You need to surround the flue (chimney pipe) in 9 inch (215mm) blockwork for fire safety, make sure this is worked into the design (from foundation up). You also need to decide the shape of the chimney above the roof.

Can I suggest a nice railway sleeper or piece of pine as the mantle piece? Just make sure you can get it long enough (standard Irish sleeper is about 6-6.5 feet / 1.8-2m, imports are often shorter).

Can I suggest a nice railway sleeper or piece of pine as the mantle piece?
    A man after my own heart :D

Thanks for the diagram much appreciated.

TBH the fire is only a "decorative" thing, a "Oh it will be nice to have a solid fuel fire..." Had to compromise, wanted to put in a Real Flame gas fire but lost that one, got my way with the corner fire place, the joy of it all!! ;)

The heat from it is not overly important.

Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I've got one - a corner fireplace that is, in the new house. Looks good and I can't wait to fire it up. And like you I'm not that concerned about the heat loss. Like the idea of having an open fire.
    And fireplaces in the middle of houses are a waste of space - they take up a lot of room - all that space taken up in the middle of the house. Not a good idea.

And don't get a railway sleeper for the mantle, unless you can get one that is untreated that is, otherwise you'll smell out the house with wood preservative.

But corner fireplaces - nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by PH01
    And fireplaces in the middle of houses are a waste of space - they take up a lot of room
    Which would be exactly the same amount of space at the edge of the house. Placing a fireplace in the centre of a building substantially improves heat performance. The marginal effect of having to "walk that little bit further" is meaningless.

substantially improves heat performance

Fair enough but both of us do not care about the heat performance

The marginal effect of having to "walk that little bit further" is meaningless.

You have me a bit lost here, do you think we are putting them in the corner because they are closer to the door??

Advertisement