Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden PC!

Options
  • 18-01-2004 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Put this together recently as a second PC but space constraints forced the design, all new parts and cost around €750, measures 32"w X 32"H X 12.5"D and very portable. It`s also connected by wired LAN to the main pc. Might be of interest if only for curiosity value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

more pics

and

jeez and

last one, sorry about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Is it for sale ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

how cool is that

not for sale , I`m afraid, just a one-off, but it`s not too hard to make.

why did you buid it like that anyway? why not just get a normal case wouldnt of added more than 80-120 euro to the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

Is that safe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are sure it's not for sale ?

I'm sure some sap would stump up a grand if they were pineing for it, you wood make a kiln on the deal, maybe you could branch out...

• Advertisement

:p lol

Who want`s a normal case anyway, like I said space constraints determined it had to be as narrow as possible, besides it works a treat and it`s a lot safer than a normal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

What about dust and or air flow it seems to be completely enclosed plus with woods insulating properties what makes it safer??

But apart from that excellent job

There are 2 vents at the back plus a vent on the bottom plus the extra room, as for dust, well, dust can get into a normal case too. Then there`s the insulating properties of wood as in electrical and noise so I don`t see any problems (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Until the day it goes on fire.....

I forgot to mention the sprinkler system!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats well cool and nice monitor, does it get good airflow, does it overclock well?

Plenty air, Dat, cpu`s around 43c tho it`s only a 1400 duron tho the board can take up to 3000, no overclocking , it`s only for general stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Look's good from the front - get a few of those cable organisers to sort out the cables at the back for that photo finish.

I was thinking about building a wooden ATX case (apple G4 style case) using a dark wood for my leaving cert. construction project.
    I thought about the insulation values on the wood would make the pc too hot (even with fan's), and I couldn't work out a mechanism to have a door at the side, for upgrading etc.

Never struck me to try something like your's, but it'd cost a bit to get parts and a motheboard with everything onboard for a working model.

Chose instead to build a big-ass draughting table :rolleyes: - giving me so much grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Cool idea,
    Not many people can call their PC "part of the furniture"

Good stuff!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i think you should work on buiding new housing for the sub and speakers aswell!
    then you'd have a totally integrated system...

;)

dave

Thanks for the interest and comments, guys, the intention was for it to be part of the furniture as it`s in the bedroom which is`nt very big. I had checked it out on the net and there is a company making wooden Pcs, sort of repruction style complete with a TFT monitor in a wooden frame but not cheap I`d say. I just made this up as I went along so it`s not perfect but I`ll work on tidying it up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm guessing if you wanted a wooden finish for the monitor you could get some thin bolsa wood from a modelling shop and just stick it on the screen and varnish it to look the same. i know if you didn't want to do that you can get a paint that looks like varnished bare wood that comes out pretty well. my dad used it to paint a door rather than strip it and varnish it. it came out OK. there's an off white primer coat, then a varnish type coat you just slap on with a big rough brush, and it comes out looking varnished. can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it looked OK considering it was only mcok varnished.

another thing is, anyone wanting to do something similar just needs a desk with a decnet sized drawer in it for the components, that way when you want to do upgrades you can just pull the drawer out. i don't know if esquier's one does that or not, but it's oretty cool all the same.

these guys even do solid wooden keyboards and mice, but they've got wood between their ears if they think people will pay those prices! http://store.woodcontour.net/sowope.html

Thanks for the tip, Vibe, but I think I`ll leave the monitor, the drawer idea is good, in this one I can remove the keyboard shelf and take off the cover over the innards which is velcroed on making it fairly accessible. I checked out that site and the prices are mad, you`d need to be a real wood freak with lotsa dough to go for that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by vibe666
    I'm guessing if you wanted a wooden finish for the monitor you could get some thin bolsa wood from a modelling shop and just stick it on the screen and varnish it to look the same. i know if you didn't want to do that you can get a paint that looks like varnished bare wood that comes out pretty well. my dad used it to paint a door rather than strip it and varnish it. it came out OK. there's an off white primer coat, then a varnish type coat you just slap on with a big rough brush, and it comes out looking varnished. can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it looked OK considering it was only mcok varnished.

another thing is, anyone wanting to do something similar just needs a desk with a decnet sized drawer in it for the components, that way when you want to do upgrades you can just pull the drawer out. i don't know if esquier's one does that or not, but it's oretty cool all the same.

these guys even do solid wooden keyboards and mice, but they've got wood between their ears if they think people will pay those prices! http://store.woodcontour.net/sowope.html

It's for the same people who buy in Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Fair play. As for the safety issues, it looks a lot safer than a pc my friend made! he basically got left over timber, chopped it up, stuck some parts in and nailed it together. He is a bit mad. Having said that it works fine for what he uses it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

thats cool.

I guess i'd be a little scared of fire, but it will probably never happen.

Advertisement