Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone recommend a good budget P4 Mobo

Options
  • 17-01-2004 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for something that will suit the following:

I have a P4 1.5Ghz with 256mb (2x 128) of PC133 (soon to be 512mb +1x 256).

I have the following cards installed.

PCI: SB Live! 5.1 Digital, WinTV PCI.
    AGP: Matrox G450 32mb Video.

soon to get 802.11b wifi PCI, and maybe ATA RAID too if i can't find a cheap enough mobo with it onboard, so might need 4 or more PCI slots on the board dep. on it's onboard spec.

essential specs of new board are: USB2, both SD (pref 3x) & DDR RAM slots

desireable specs: ATA RAID, NIC, overclockability.

i want to spend as little as possible, but realise that this can put me very much in the turkey territory and i don't want to sned up with a crap board.

i might be able to get a 2.6ghz CPU, so it would need to be able to take that if i get one too, and maybe even be able to push it up to 3ghz if heat etc. will allow.

also, anyone know what i'm likely to be able to overclock to with the 1.5ghz CPU and if there would be any other problems with my other hardware?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

There's an Asus micro-ATX board with RAID, USB2, 2xSDRAM + 2xDDRAM bays. It only has 3 PCI slots though.
    Can't remember exact name, I think it's a hovedkort board and it's about €50-60 from komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this ABIT one was the only one even remotely near 60e i could find, but it only has DDR slots not SD, although i might be able to get around that. seems to have everything else i need though.

can't find the one you mentioned though.

it's surprising how much some of these boards are though, if you consider that you're going to pay lots more for onboard raid in most cases, but you can pick up a raid card for less than 30e. mad, you'd think it would be cheaper, not more expensive.

only reason i want raid is because i have a couple of spare 40gb drives and want to make full use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Oops, I was thinking of this board:
    Asus P4S533-MX Mainboard S478/P-4, LAN SIS651, ATA/133, m-ATX, SD&DDR-Ram, VGA

Sorrry m8, I thought it had RAID, should have checked first :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i just got that board a couple weeks ago. the only reason i got it tbh is that it was the cheapest p4 mini-atx board i could get my hands on. its turned out to be grand tbh. no raid tho, any u will be limited by the number of pci slots as it is mini-atx, but should do for pretty much everything else u asked for. post any q's u have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Asrock do a very nice P4 board. It is cheap enough and has everything onboard. Oh and no SDRAM slots. Specs are available here http://www.search4hardware.com/2/p_2_1427_ASRock_P4VT8.html

I know it may not be exactly what you are after but might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement