Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little fx5900 lx that could

Options
  • 17-01-2004 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭

Just hit 7k with my 5900 lx :D flashed it to the 5950 ultra bios last night which help improve my over clock from 500/980 to 530/1000 :D

Not bad for a 'cheapish' card

also its passively cooled :) with a zalman

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1907914

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

congrats man thats some score, you say its passively cooled with a zalman does that mean you took the big metal casing off and all that? did it improve the cooling much.

i'm gonna download 3dmark03 now i'll get back to ya with a score in about an hour

right i got 5.6k damn your score makes me wanna overclock my graphics card

xp2500+ @ 3200+ radeon 9800 pro 512mb ram

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sure did, was easy to take off nothing much holding it on :)

overclock that gpu ull hit 6500/7000 easy :)

ah i doubt it powercolor aren't meant to be the best overclockers was aware of this when buying though as i got it a €100 cheaper then other 9800 pros at the time.

bizmark has one of those lx's also with a 2600+ pushes out 13k in 3d 01. think he has it at about 450/900.

regardless of the graphics card i'd say you get very good performance from you pentium-m you have it a 3.0Ghz right? what do you get in 3d 01 with the new gfx settings you used to get 18k was it?

data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i have mine at 475/700 because for some reasion Nividia "coolbit" resets the bloody memory clockspeed even though it works fine up to 900mhz its a pain

anyone suggest something that would stop it doing that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

just bought one of thse lx cards myself. a gainward. why does flashing the bios help it perform better?

because from what i know All Geforce 5900's are the same the only difference is the software that runs them,.....change the software and you change the card basicly

though changeing it to a 5950 is a big of a wast as doesnt give you extra fps because your lacking 128meg of ram that the 5950 (it has 256 or something) has.....Also it changes the timeing on your own 128meg to a slower setting i think

well ye won't really notice the difference between 256 and 128mb cards and if flashing the bios loosens your memory timings then its not really a good thing people should just try to overclock it to 5950 speeds manually and keep their tighter timings

the bios changes the Voltage level to the card aswell inorder to allow the higher clock speeds....so i dont hink you can get 5950 speeds from a "normal" 5900lx .....you would get 5900 ultra easy enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ive found i get better perf with the bios than without it, thats because i can now get teh core at 530 stable so ive moved from 490/990 to 530/1010. its slightly faster at these speeds and it looks nice to have a €450 card flash up when u boot!!

i got circa 18k in 01 should hit over 20 once i get a hsf that makes better contact with the core of this chip :D should be looking at 3.4ghz min

• Advertisement

thats a 2ghz overclocks that ****ing phenomenal quality stuff of ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by bizmark
    i have mine at 475/700 because for some reasion Nividia "coolbit" resets the bloody memory clockspeed even though it works fine up to 900mhz its a pain

anyone suggest something that would stop it doing that ?
    Yep, reinstall your drivers and then DONT remove the startup DLL xxxxxx32.DLL option in the registry, removing it stops the Driver from loading up the desktop with your saved settings and OC numbers.

Er im not sure what you mean their m8.....I just let the drivers auto install i dont remove anyting (or just dont take any notice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

i actually bought the FX5950Ultra (MSI board!) and i only get around 5000. CPU is a 64bit Athlon XP @ 2GHz.

though i admit, i lost my XP 64bit CD, so the old 32bit edition is on the system currently.

What ? Xp 64bit isnt out till the end of the year or something

cough. sort of. My cousin is a programmer of some sort, and as such he has access to a test copy, which I am supposed to be using. lost the disc tho :(

as far as i know, XP64 is released, but can only be bought OEM (that is to say, preinstalled on a PC)

Originally posted by marclar
    i actually bought the FX5950Ultra (MSI board!) and i only get around 5000. CPU is a 64bit Athlon XP @ 2GHz.

though i admit, i lost my XP 64bit CD, so the old 32bit edition is on the system currently.

thats weird as mine is higher then that, what does 3dmark 01 give?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by marclar
    cough. sort of. My cousin is a programmer of some sort, and as such he has access to a test copy, which I am supposed to be using. lost the disc tho :(

as far as i know, XP64 is released, but can only be bought OEM (that is to say, preinstalled on a PC)

Windows XP 64Bit is out for over a year, but its for Itanium systems. The AMD64 version, Windows XP for 64Bit Extended Systems , wont be out till Spring\Summer. You can get it via MSDN, build 1069.

Matt

aye, that sounds like what I am supposed to be getting. is it stable at all?

now to get back on topic.

anyone run the Final Fantasy XI benchmark, "Van'dial beach 2" or whatever it is called? i got *only* 6028 with my own 5950Ultra. in the readme, 7000 is basically rated as "stupidly powerful".

on that note...i seem to remember a little panel slider built into the nvidia drivers for overclocking? where is it gone?!?

i wouldn't worry about your benchmark a high end 64bit amd processor and a radeon 9800XT *only* gets about 6800

that from www.anandtech.com somewhere

• Advertisement
Advertisement