Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9600 XT Ultimate 128 or 256MB

Options
  • 16-01-2004 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

simple enough. having trouble finding any really concise reviews

if any1 know of any or has first hand expeirence?
    is it the same as the 9600 pro 128 or 256 the pro being better?

;) :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Well from what ive read on the net about the XT cards, thers only a marginal difference in speeds between the pros and the xts. thats the bog standard xts, dunno about the ultimates

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

cool
    thx for that shin

well the fan on my 3 month old radeon 9600 pro is on its way out so mi getting a refund and the xt ultimate 128 has i think zalman cooling. so no fan. plus it comes with a half life 2 coupon. thats gotta retail at 50 yoyos so considering the xt ultimate is only 35 more than the pro when i bought it i might be saving myself about a tenner. if u say theres a marginal performance boost then. might be the 1 to go for.

mmmmmmmmmm faaaaaanleessssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea the XT versions are clocked faster and better performers. AFAIK the ultimate is in reference to the cooling the GFX card has...... ie better quieter cooling.

Nice one to go for, hope she works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

sapphire ultimate uses a zalman heatsink without fan your better with active cooling because the heat buildup will just heat your case up..the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer aint suitable for the xt but they are bringing one out in feb...got me self a sapphire 9600xt, wat a sweet board.. did you see any reviews on the xt fireblade very overclockable

the 9600 pro from sapphire won many reviews as a good cheap overclockable board but it fell on ram speeds being overclockable.... the xt improves on this and it aint that expensive

I wouldnt buy the zalman unless there was a fan on it

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Coolers_57.html

128 or 256 there aint much in the difference price wise and there is nothing in the difference performance wise..usualy the 128 has better quality ram and anyway what games are out there demand 256 ram????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by freekhead
    sapphire ultimate uses a zalman heatsink without fan your better with active cooling because the heat buildup will just heat your case up..the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer aint suitable for the xt but they are bringing one out in feb...got me self a sapphire 9600xt, wat a sweet board.. did you see any reviews on the xt fireblade very overclockable

the 9600 pro from sapphire won many reviews as a good cheap overclockable board but it fell on ram speeds being overclockable.... the xt improves on this and it aint that expensive

I wouldnt buy the zalman unless there was a fan on it

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Coolers_57.html

128 or 256 there aint much in the difference price wise and there is nothing in the difference performance wise..usualy the 128 has better quality ram and anyway what games are out there demand 256 ram????

Doom3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Doom3

The Platform for Doom 3 will be GeForce 3 and above cards but supposedly you can play it on a Geforce 1 but you will have to turn ALOT of the visual off to play. An ATI Radeon 9700 and GeForce FX5900 would be a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Doom III won't use 256.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

just make sure you check the frequency of the memory on the 256mb card, manufacturers have a tendancy to put lower spec memory on 256 cards such that the 128mb one will actually perform better

Advertisement