Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best way to cool one of........

Options
  • 15-01-2004 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

...these?

I've taken bits and pieces from a dell and will be putting them into a new case. The old Dell case had the chassis fan cooling the chip and case using a kind of plastic cover that directed the air. I wanna set up some sort of 40mm or 60mm to cool the the heatsink directly. Has anyone done this before?

Will post more pics when I have more set up.

front.jpg

back.jpg

G0020910.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i'd use a 120mm fan with 80-120mm fan adaptor.
    run it slow [and quiet], either with speedfan, or zalman jobbie.

...if it'll fit...

dave

oh sh*t, it's one of those vertical ones...
    maybe use 2 x 60mm, side-by-side??

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

well actually 2 40mms fit nicely across it so i might glue\hammer\screw two of them in.

a 120mm might do the trick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

HAR HAR, Long live the Lump Hammer (Sorry)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Big slow fans is what you want - it's the amount of air the matters more than the speed.

You could get one of them hard drive cooling fans ?

Now if it's a DELL of that vintage be careful - the PSU's / Motherboards used non standard voltage/pinout - yes you can use the CPU and ram in other mother boards - but you may not be able to use a different PSU with the Dell M/B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

I might be wrong but you can get heat sinks and fans built for them....yeah you can no need for a hammer i have 3 of them here...sink fits right accross the pcb and the fan is a wee 40mm sits in the centre.....is there a engineer near you who fixes computers he might just have some sitting around collecting dust...

sh*t never looked at the pictures correctly....what was i talking about??? yeah few brackets would do the job or even screws if you had the right one...40mm fan is plenty good for a p2.... 400mhz and bellow dont even need fans its just good practice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Now if it's a DELL of that vintage be careful - the PSU's / Motherboards used non standard voltage/pinout - yes you can use the CPU and ram in other mother boards - but you may not be able to use a different PSU with the Dell M/B

well I'm keeping the mobo and psu together for just that reason. don't want things to go pop.
    yeah few brackets would do the job or even screws if you had the right one...40mm fan is plenty good for a p2.... 400mhz and bellow dont even need fans its just good practice

its actually a p3 500mhz (just used the picture to show slot type\HS etc. and it does need cooling cus it gets very hot.

so 120mm or 2x40mms? i'll have a look in maplin for some 120mms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Why not get a Slot-1 heatsink for it, and not worry about all the DIY crap?

The Pentium 3's Slot-1 came in SECC2 packaging (in case you're looking around and see SECC1 and SECC2 Slot-1 coolers), the retail ones had a cooler attached to them which looked like a part of the packaging. The OEM ones look exactly like what you have on the picture. The cooler would have four bolts going through the mounting holes on the CPU card, and a clip on the other side to hold it in place.

I'd get a cheap second hand one from ebay. For example here's one for 50 pence:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3452402914&category=3673

if you're gonna get a 120mm badboy, i'd get one off komplett [or similar] and get a decent brand, like EKL, about €17. i got a "white box" one in maplins. cheap. but a bit noisy. it's got a whine off it.

dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

You don't need anything more than a 40mm fan for this.
    The original cooler was that size. 120mm fan is definitely an overkill, not to mention that you've got nowhere to install it.

Check if you can mount/glue on a 50mm or 60mm fan on to the heatsink and solve your problem that way. These are not the heat machines of today, that Pentium 3 won't be radiating anywhere close to 70 watts, and even with the high-end Pentium 4's there's most commonly a 60mm fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement