Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of Tile in Galway area

Options
  • 15-01-2004 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of Tile in Galway area?

Also is there a difference on the thickness of tiles? Dont know much about this stuff obviously....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I meant to say Tiler BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    Also is there a difference on the thickness of tiles? Dont know much about this stuff obviously....
    Yes, the larger the tile area the thicker it is. Floor tiles would be thicker than wall tiles. You can adjust by using latex or extra adhesive, but I don't think it's great. In general they would vary from about 2.5mm for a 50x50mm to 150x150mm to maybe as much as 8mm for a 400x400mm. Some special tiles could be as much as 20-30mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

8mm and 10mm thick tiles are pretty standard for floor tiles. Putting them down is easy enough.

Tiling is not a trade, it's a bricklayers job. Tiling contractors are just glorified labourers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Tiling is not a trade, it's a bricklayers job. Tiling contractors are just glorified labourers.

So would you base this on experience of tiling and bricklaying.

Dwayne - Will contact my brother for ya, he should know someone up there as he did almost a years work there.

As Victor said alright the floor tiles are usually thicker than wall tiles but I have seen wall tiles that are 36 inch * 12 inch and these were as thick as your floor tiles.

IF you think you are handy at a bit of DIY and the job is not too serious then I would suggest that you may consider it yourself.

What you need is a good tile cutter, a tile nips and straight edge and a pencil

They most important thing is to mark out the area correctly to make sure that you do not have a small cut along the wall when u are finished. IF you can and u are doing a toilet take out the bowl and handbasin stands, this will make it easier to tile around.

Will be back to you if he has a number.

Gluck

So would you base this on experience of tiling and bricklaying.

Yes. The statement is a fact, not a subjective point of view.

Tiling small areas is not difficult, most of the things yop pointed out are bang on.

The most useful tip on tiling is to plan everything before you even think about applying adhesive. Open a few boxes, and lay them out. Get an idea of what size cuts you will have at edges, and how you will cut around any obstacles that can't be removed. More planning is less pain.

Some people prefer to use plastic tiling spacers between the tiles to ensure proper alignment of tiles. They can be handy starting off, but of diminished use with serated edge tiles.

If you're going to try it yourself, let us know. I'm sure we can give you more advice than vague tips.

It's cheaper to do it yourself, and very rewarding. Don't be put off by being new to it, everybody has a first time.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes. The statement is a fact, not a subjective point of view.

So what fact do you base this on.... you have been in the trade as brickie and tiler I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Jaden

The implication here is that brickies are also just labourers. You're not by any chance an architect are you?:D

No Such implication was made. Tiling is a bricklayers job, according to the Guild of Bricklayers & Stonemasons.

Tiling contractors are not tradesmen, in that tiling is not a trade. Through experience they are (in the main) fairly competent. But they are not qualified. Anyone can call themselves a tiling contractor, but not so with being a bricklayer. There is a process leading to a qualification which distingushes bricklayers.

Architect? Me? - God no....

I get what u mean now alright, there is some sort of Guild that Tilers can be part of, remember some head from them coming to inspect my brothers work on a number of occasions, had to do some other stuff for them, now he is part of this Guild. Could be the bricklayers guild TBH, not sure.

Originally posted by Jaden
    No Such implication was made. Tiling is a bricklayers job, according to the Guild of Bricklayers & Stonemasons.

Architect? Me? - God no....

Not really on topic I know, and I hate to correct the Guild of Bricklayers and Masons but they are possibly holding a minority view

From the Fas Site
    :Apprenticeship applies to the following trades:

Agricultural Mechanic*
    Aircraft Mechanic*
    Bookbinder*
    Bricklayer
    Cabinet Maker
    Carpenter/Joiner
    Carton Maker*
    Construction Plant Fitter*
    Electrician*
    Fitter*
    Floor/Wall Tiler*
    Heavy Vehicle Mechanic*
    Instrumentation Craftsperson*
    Metal Fabricator
    Motor Mechanic*
    Originator*
    Painter/Decorator*
    Plasterer
    Plumber
    Printer*
    Refrigeration Craftsperson*
    Sheet Metal Worker
    Toolmaker
    Vehicle Body Repairer*
    Wood Machinist

*A person wishing to become an apprentice in one of the above trades marked* must pass a colour – vision test approved by FÁS.

In my book apprenticeship = trade.
    But it is good to know you're not an architect:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Borzoi
    You're not by any chance an architect are you?:D
    Hey, no need to make accusations like that! ;)
    In my book apprenticeship = trade.
    So how about apprentice solicitors? I think the Revenue Commissioners have a "definitive" list of "trades".
    Refrigeration Craftsperson
    I suppose they couldn't call them "Refrigeration Fitter" (I suppose the union would get upset when one touched something electrical) or "Refrigerator" ;)
    Bricklayer / Mason
    Carpenter/Joiner
    Electrician
    Painter/Decorator
    Plasterer
    Plumber / Fitter
    These are the "traditional" construction crafts - i.e. with 4 year apprenticeships, although there might be a few other rarer ones.

There is a guild of master craftsmen that may include tilers.

Victor

The point I was trying to make, and which is backed up by the Fas website, is that tiling is a recognised skilled trade in its own right.

BTW Does anyone know what an 'Originator' does? (Also from the Fas list)

PS Refrigeration Craftspersons are more commonly known as refrigeration engineers (despite disapproval by the IEI) and are well trained in electrics as they would build and install all the electrical part of a fridge system. The biggest that I've been involved with was 2MW

BTW Does anyone know what an 'Originator' does? (Also from the Fas list)
    It's possibly a technician type position where the originator and draughtsman work together to make working drawings - the architect / engineer will largely do the theoretical calculations / outline design, but that has to be "filled in". For example and architect may do a sketch of a stainless steel sign, but you then need someone to tell the laser cutter exactly how to cut the steel.

Originator

n : someone who creates new things

Advertisement