Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite thing about.....

• 14-01-2004 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Living in an Urban area, and what do you miss most about your home town.
    This question is directed at people who originate from Rural areas who have
    moved from the Countryside to the 'Big Smoke' i.e Dublin, London or any large Cities.
    Do you miss the country air and community spirit? Do you appreciate the greater choices you have in the City?

C'Mon, I want to know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm from da country, and goin to college up here in Dublin.

What I miss about my hometown:
    • The fact that there are fields and trees in the country instead of buildings, buildings and more buildings in Dublin
    • The nice clean fresh air
    • It ain't as dangerous down the country, you're able to go out without having to install an alarm system like Fort Knox
    • and saving the best for last - I miss my family

What I prefer about Dublin:
    • The nightlife
    • Better travel facilities, e.g. a lot easier to go somewhere cheaper out of Dublin airport, as opposed to any other Irish airport
    • All my pals are up in Dublin
    • and again, saving the best for last - my bf lives here

And yes, I do miss the country air - Dublin air is so polluted. Although, I do reckon that tiz the smog that makes your hair grow! I used to have shoulder-length hair all my life, and it would never grow, but since I moved up to Dublin, tiz gotten a lot longer now, woohoo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

i miss everybody knowing everybody elses business, i miss their small simple minds, i miss their ever so stimulating conversations about the last GAA match against Ballyboghole, i miss the local parish priest to whom everyone bows to despite his being just a glorified arts student, i miss having to travel 20 miles to the nearest town to go to a nightclub, after which a trip to supermacs will result in a gang from the next town kicking your head in because you're not one of them, i miss the corrupt county councellors, the lack of bank machines, the high unemployment, no variety of places to eat, drink or shop, i miss the fat ugly inbred childern and most of all i miss the fact that if you're in any way different they will either treat you with suspicion or ignore you alltogether:mad:

On the upside it's good when you're a kid cos you dont realise whats going on around you, the air is fresh and time passes like a summer breeze....but then you can't stay a kid forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 B1G 3Y3s

I like your honesty Dictarorcat.
    The countryside is a nice place, to visit, but I wouldn't want to etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ahh c'mon now.. you'll get half of that crap no matter where you are in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

you'll get half of that crap no matter where you are in the world...

Yea maybe china! sure you have corruption ect. in Dublin, but they get caught, in the bog it happens all the time, it's the only way anything gets done. I feel much safer going out in Dublin than i do at home since everybody minds their own business, and that's the biggest difference, in large urban areas everybody minds their own business, in the country it's on the parish newsletter when you fart!

• Advertisement
Advertisement