Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators acting strangely

Options
  • 13-01-2004 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I bought a house about two months ago and the gas heating system is operating a little oddly. We have the boiler on timer for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the evening, as far as I can tell this works fine.

The problem comes when switching the heat on again after it has been on timed, as far as I can see. When I do this, the boiler makes it's usual noises etc. but the radiators don't heat up and the gas meter doesn't rise - other times they heat up for a while and then go off by themselves, with the boiler still on constantly.

The gas pipes themselves were replaced not long after we moved in as there had been a leak, so they are brand new. When the pipes were replaced the guys doing it checked the boiler and said it was fine.

Anyone experienced this problem or anything like it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    The problem comes when switching the heat on again after it has been on timed, as far as I can see. When I do this, the boiler makes it's usual noises etc. but the radiators don't heat up and the gas meter doesn't rise - other times they heat up for a while and then go off by themselves, with the boiler still on constantly.
    Do you mean if you set it to "on" instead of "timer" if, say, you want extra heat during the day on the weekends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Victor
    Do you mean if you set it to "on" instead of "timer" if, say, you want extra heat during the day on the weekends?

Aye, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Were the radiators bled after the pipes were replaced? Could be an air bubble moving around slowly filling up the rads.
    Odd one really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

what age is the property & system?

What heating controls are installed?

If you can give as much detail as possible it would assist in my diagnosis.

visit my site

The property is a mid-terrace council house, probably built in the 1940s or thereabouts. The system is old enough I'd say probably from the late 80s, early 90s.

The controls are simply an switch for off/timed/constant, with a timer dial and a small black knob underneath which someone said they though was an 'override' which seems to have no visible effect on the system.

There's a thermostat in the living room, again setting this to on, off or any variable temperature seems not to have any effect on whether or not the rads heat up. The boiler is upstairs in the main bedroom, there's no immersion (must get one of those too).

When they do come on they heat all the way up so I don't think they need to be bled, although I might do that anyway.

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i would hazard a guess that the timer switch needs replacing,sounds like the thermostats borked switching itself off before its heated up properly,Can you adjust the timer manually?

i would suspect that the room stat is causing your problems.

Depending on the type of boiler installed the stat will control either.

a: The circulating pump

b. A motorised valve

What type boiler have you? Wall Hung or Back Boiler

What make and model?

Is the heating system open vented (expansion tank in attic) or sealed (a bright red expansion vessel located in the hot press or near the boiler)

Is the sytem modern or an old one that was converted to gas?

Originally posted by pipers
    i would suspect that the room stat is causing your problems.

Depending on the type of boiler installed the stat will control either.

a: The circulating pump

b. A motorised valve

What type boiler have you? Wall Hung or Back Boiler

What make and model?

Is the heating system open vented (expansion tank in attic) or sealed (a bright red expansion vessel located in the hot press or near the boiler)

Is the sytem modern or an old one that was converted to gas?

It's wall hung, a small(ish) gas type one - it's a Myson Apollo - I think the system is open vented as there is no vessel in the hot press or near the boiler.

I don't know whether the system was converted to gas - the boiler looks old and the gas meter has a 1982 date on it so I'm not sure.

the myson apollo dates from the 80's.

Do check to see what the room stat controls, check whether it starts and stops the pump.

I tried messing with the thermostat before, whether it is on or off, or what temperature it's set to, seems to have no bearing on the system operation i.e. the rads heat up for around two-three hours and then go cool with the pump still on.

• Advertisement

are thermostatic heads fitted to the radiator valves?

Originally posted by pipers
    are thermostatic heads fitted to the radiator valves?

No - they're just standard on/off type ones.

sounds like the controls to me

What side of town are you on?

Am in Crumlin - what sort of money would you be charging for fixing something like this, and fitting an immersion to the upstairs tank?

When i can confirm exactly what the problem is i would be in a position to give a quotation.

We do not operate a call out charge.

We are based nearby so I could drop down at a mutually convenient time and take it from there.

Have emailed you via the address given on your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Do you get hot water when the system is manually turned on ??

If so, could be a mini valve for a "Summer" setting. Let's know how you get on.

Advertisement