Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park Question

Options
  • 12-01-2004 5:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont mean to start a thread about the whole foreign sport thing... i know there is a poll going on as it is.

its just that at the moment, the rules say that only irish sports can be played on the pitch, right?

have the GAA ever explained why Muhammed Ali fought there in 1972? Is boxing not a sport? And since when was it Irish.
    Im just wondering what the offical line was on this.

heres a link in relation to the fight:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/07/28/story324822.asp

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I think the GAA could have been able to justify that in their own heads as a " show" or " event" as opposed to a sporting event.

So basically Im saying that Tina Turner, Cassius Clay and the special olympics all have something in common

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

yes yes also american football etc has been played upon the turf but basically they have the right to let whoever they want play on it but not be forced to let who ever wants play on it. makes sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

AFAIK there's also an opinion within GAA circles that limited once off events arranged so that it doesn't interfere with the stadiums primary use and are allowed wrt the redidents agreements are ok. Allowing non-GAA events that are regular is generally not liked. It also would cause issues with the residents which have agreed with the GAA on the number of events to be held there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I had a feeling they called it an event to get away with it.....
    cheers anywho.

btw.... never knew American Football was played there.... Im starting to think its just English based games like soccer that they dont want.... although the whole residents thing is very true aswell (and they would... or should never be expected to sacrafice a GAA game for something else if they do open it up)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its not to do with "English", its to do with competition. Boxing and US football are not seen as competition to the GAA. Soccer and rugby are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Its not to do with "English", its to do with competition. Boxing and US football are not seen as competition to the GAA. Soccer and rugby are.

Probably one of the best comments on the subject Ive seen. and i totally agree on it.

Advertisement