Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That is what the government is there for

Options
  • 12-01-2004 4:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The state social services are charged with taking care of the less well off, why should anyone volunteer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Volunteering isn't just about taking care of the less well off, it's about giving of your time, it's about helping others, it's about doing things for yourself and others, it's about helping people out, it's about recognising that although state services should be doing a certain job they don't, its about doing things because others wont,

There are so many reasons why people should volunteer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Indeed and i think there are certain angles that voluntary groups/work can come from that people will trust more than the state. It's not a criticism of the State, it's just that volunteers, instead of professionals can sometimes relate better, and work on a more equal footing to the people they work with. maybe it's the progress of the country or maybe it's something else but there does appear to be an attitude out there that contributing to the community stops after your tax bill. It goesn't and the more you put into it the more you can get out of it.

Advertisement