Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slugging / sloughing

Options
  • 12-01-2004 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Saw a news item on RTE, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock news last night. Must have been a slow night. Anyhow, the item was about car commuters picking up passengers so that they could use express lanes on the highways. It was referred to as slugging or sloughing (not sure of the spelling). The person the camera crew followed was an army guy and the ride took 35 minutes as opposed to hour and a half.

I know there is a car pooling scheme in operation at Dublin Traffic but we don't have the road network for this to work. And don't suggest the few bus lanes we have!

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It was interesting indeed, but its something I'd be quite reluctant to do for personal safety reasons. I wonder if there were any safeguards in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Of course it makes sense

Three or more people in a car get to use a priority lane

Thats how it was thirty years ago when I worked in the States

Priority lanes over here are called bus lanes

Excuse for not having this sort of arrangement over here is ( I believe ) that it would be hard to enforce

Well Gee Golly Gosh the Yanks had no problem thirty years ago and still dont

Is traffic law enforcement THAT far behind the U.S. ? ( more like a case of cant be bothered )

Yet someone who PAYS A TAXI gets to use the priority lanes. Where is the logic in that ?:dunno:

One law for the rich & another for Sean Citizen:(

An T

( er, can I count on yer Vote?:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by an_taoiseach
    Excuse for not having this sort of arrangement over here is ( I believe ) that it would be hard to enforce
    No quite simply we don't have many 8 lane roads.
    Yet someone who PAYS A TAXI gets to use the priority lanes. Where is the logic in that ?
    Those people aren't cloggin up the city centre with a parked car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

No quite simply we don't have many 8 lane roads

My experience was in the deep south - two lanes each way ( y'all have a goood day now )

Those people aren't cloggin up the city centre with a parked car.

Nice Red Herring

What makes you think that car sharers will all be going to the City Centre ?

Try again.

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What makes you think that car sharers will all be going to the City Centre ?
    'cos thats where the majority of the bus lanes go or come from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement