Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open draw, seeding????

Options
  • 12-01-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Been thinking lately should there be an open draw in GAA, I think there should be along the lines of the FA cup, seeding the Division 1 teams so the weaker counties meet earlier and have more games. It would also make the league games more important, promotion and all that for better placing in the championship.

Open Draw and Seeding 6 votes

Ya!
    0% 0 votes
    Nay!
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, because Cavan are pretty high up there. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I agree the league should be something more meaningful but isn't the GAA draw as open as it can be?

why not a league and then knockout phase?

inagurate the League WITH the Championship. top 2 [4] from each league group into a knockout leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭watman

I reckon the GAA will not change the current provincial structure too much. But i must admit i would like an open draw system (Like the FA CUP ) in the championship .
    Cork v Westmeath in Mullingar - First Round of the Championship - that would be nice instead of losing to Meath every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO - i think the championship is grand the way it is.. I didnt think a facup type draw would be good for teams (i.e Cavan, Antrim, Dublin ) - one match your out.

.. but the national league should be changed for defo..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd like to see groups for the championship. Say 8 groups of 4 or 5 and then top 2 go into last 16 where a winner plays a second place. From there on open draw. Possibly seed the groups. I'd also play the provincial championships seperately as a knock-out competition as exists at the moment. That way teams get at least 4 games a year.

I'd scrap the league as it makes the season very long and there is not so much interest in it. Having a championship structure like that above should improve weaker teams and take away any unfairness generated by the back-door. It should also leave more time during the year for club fixtures which are sometimes played at ridiculous times of the year in some counties.

Another benifit here is that to win the championship every team would need to play 7 or 8 games and not 5 as is the case in Munster and Connaught.

I'd also do something similar for hurling by having an A and B championship and making the B relevant by having promotion and relegation in it and thus improving weaker teams and generating more interest at the same time.

Something like 16 teams in A and similar in B with 2 teams going down and 2 getting promoted every year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement