Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping and Steam....

Options
  • 11-01-2004 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Hullo!
    Just wondering what the deal is with HL mapping now that steam has come along.
    But more specifically - testing maps while building them.
    Would it be better to keep a pre-steam HL install for testing your maps? or is there some easy, painless way to do the same thing with a steam install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

According to the Steam FAQ, since sometime in October, offline Steam support has been 'nearing completion'.

Put simply, there is no way to test your maps without first connecting to the internet under Steam as far as I know. Yes, it would be worth keeping an older install handy, although I deleted the older files during the install process as they recommended :mad:

If you do decide to delete the old files, ensure that you make a copy of the texture .WADs you'll need. You can't access those in the Steam cache files from Worldcraft. I had to get them burned onto a CD rather than install HL from scratch...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There's a cracked install of 1.6 which doesnt need to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

or you can just connect to the net, login and disconnect without closing steam
    works grand

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Originally posted by DRakE
    works grand

Yeah but we're behind the firewall on student rez in DCU :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by DRakE
    works grand

Actually, to my experience you have to get your local server up and running as well, then alt-tab out and disconnect. That much extra effort makes it even more of a hassle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah what Drake said works for me.

Advertisement