Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Moon

Options
  • 11-01-2004 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Why does the full moon have such a strong effect?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bucket of holy water <Check>
    Asbestos underware <Check>

It's simply 'cos it's easier to find your way to the driudic ruins when there is more light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well one reason is the effect the moon has on water. The full moon always brings a high tide - your body is 90% water hence it has an effect on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

water .. I like that .. good reason
    it's easier to find your way to the driudic ruins when there is more light

what if I'm indoors? *your sarcasim is wasted on me*

... nights out are always extremely different when there is a full moon ... I act completely on impluse and rationality goes out the window when there is a full moon ... I was just wondering if it has the same effect on anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yep me too, things go a little screwy with the full moon. The word Lunatic comes from Lunar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

you are a bundle of knowledge Evil Phil :)

any other moon facts?

.. there is a blue moon this July ... should be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

well,, I am a Moon Child and a water sign so I am completely ruled by the moon and it's phases. I am a cancer ...I have a lot of information on this subject but I cant go through it all now, I will come back one day in the week and post some information about it ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Well one reason is the effect the moon has on water. The full moon always brings a high tide - your body is 90% water hence it has an effect on it.

Oceans are about 2 miles deep - tides are about 10 feet - so the tide in your body would be very slight.
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_337.html
    Besides, when it comes to exerting any influence on humankind, the moon has a lot of competition. Researchers have calculated that a mother holding her baby exerts 12 million times the tide-raising force on the child that the moon does, simply by virtue of being closer.
    So how do we explain all those cops and emergency room nurses who believe in the lunar effect? Easy. Nobody notices when there's a full moon and nothing happens--you only notice when something does happen. In other words, heads I win, tails don't count. Case closed.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html#mstid

==========================
    Effect caused by light would be redundant nowadays since so many people are exposed to artifical light and so little natural light.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

oh if only thead where here to take up the debate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

when was the last full moon and whens the next?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I finally have a minute to type this out, I needed to set time aside for this. First off..VADER..the last full moon was on Saturday March 6th. The next on is on monday April 5th..thanks to my handy witches almanac. You can get one at your local book store.

Now this following information is taken from one of my many astrology books. There will be 2 sections I will type out.

THE MOON IN EACH SIGN

The moon is the nearest planet to the earth. It exerts more observable influence on us from day to day than any other planet. The effect is very personal, very intimate, and if we are not aware of how it works it can make us quite unstable in our ideas. And the annoying thing is that at these times we often see our own instability but can do nothing about it. A knowledge of what can be expected may help considerably. We can then be prepared to stand strong against the moons negative influences and use its positive ones to help us get ahead. Who has not heard of going with the tide?
    The Moon reflects, has no light of its own. It reflects the sun-the giver of life-in the form of vital movement. The Moon controls the tides, the blood rythm, the movement of sap in trees and plants. Its nature is inconsistancy and change so it signifies our moods, our superficial behavior- walking, talking, & especially thinking. Being a true reflector of other forces, the moon is cold, watery like the surface of a still lake, brilliant and scintillating at times, but easily ruffled and disturbed by the winds of change.
    The Moon takes about 27 1/3 days to make a complete transit of the zodiac. It spends just over 2 1/4 days in each sign. During that time it reflects the qualities, energies, and characteristics of the sign and, to a degree, the planet which rules the sign. When the moon in its transit occupies a sign incompatible with our own birth sign, we can expect to feel a vague uneasiness, perhaps a touch of irritiableness. We should not be discouraged nor let the feeling get us down, or, worse stil, allow ourselves to take the discomfort out on others. Try to remember that the moon has to change signs within 55 hrs and, provideed you are not physically ill, your mood will probably change with it. It is amazing how frequently depression lifts with the shift in the moon's position. And, ofcourse, when the moon is transiting a sign compatible or sympathatic toy ours, you will probably feel some sort of stimulation or just be plain happy to be alive.

**to know when the moon is in each sign pick up a copy of a witches almanac at your local book store or local metaphysical shop**

In the horoscope, the moon is such a powerful indicator that competent astrologers often use the sign it occupied at birth as the birth sign of the person. This is done particuarly when the sun is on the cusp, or edge, of two signs. Most experienced astrologers, however, coordinate both sun and moon signs by reading and confirming from one to the other and secure a far more accuarte and personalized analysis.

MOON'S INFLUENCE OVER DAILY AFFAIR'S:

The Moon makes a complete transit of the zodiac every 27 days 7 hours and 43 minutes (as I mentioned above). In making this transit the moon forms different aspects with the planets and consequently has favorable or unfavorable bearings on affairs and events for persons according to the sign of the zodiac under which they were born.
    When the moon is in conjunction with the sun it is called a New Moon, when the sun and moon are in opposition it is called a Full Moon. From new moon to full moon, first and second quarter-which takes about 2 weeks-the moon is increasing or waxing. From full moon to new moon, third and fourth quarter, the moon is decreasing, or waning.

** Hope that helps you understand why you feel different with each phase of the moon**

Advertisement