Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Centrino are these fast even tough there are only P4 .15?

Options
  • 10-01-2004 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭

OK Im in the market for a new laptop as my last laptop had to go back to Compaq as it was faulty, Im looking at gettings something high spec'd again, I will need IR, CDRW/dvd, lan modem , Ive been looking at the DEll D60

my only question is, is the Intel Centrino lets say P4 1.5mhz , is meant to be as fast as the P4 2.7??

is this true does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah, there or thereabouts. To comply with the centrino standard you have to have the intel chipset (i855), wifi compatibility and the P4 M. The one with 1 megabyte of L2 Cache and reduced pipeline length makes up for the lack of megahertz.

Dothan should be coming round the corner soon with 2MB of L2 cache so that will increase performance accordingly. Centrinos are great power wise running twice as long as other mobile solutions thanks to its lower power usage and power saving functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by CivilServant
    To comply with the centrino standard you have to have the intel chipset (i855), wifi compatibility and the P4 M.

Not P4M, only Pentium M..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Never get that one right! Thanks for the clearup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Look at the IBM Thinkpad R40 (950 sterling or thereabouts from insight) as well as the Acer travelmate 290/291

I did a fair bit of research as will be buying something in that line myself and these seem to be the best value/performance

alternatives are fujitsu lifebook, dell, toshiba, but toshiba are pricey for centrino.

Advertisement