Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast Modding

Options
  • 07-01-2004 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a place in dublin still selling self install dreamcast chips, for VCD's and Emu etc?

Mines almost fecked, so im gonna try my hand at installing 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

What do you need it for??

Everything I ever had to run on my Dreamcast I could boot from cd (boot disk in the early days and then selfboot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

You need a chip to run any of the emu stuff or VCD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

You need a chip to run any of the emu stuff or VCD's

umm... no... I don't have a chip, and the emulators run fine for me (NES and SNES atleast).
    The utopia boot disk should work fine... there is no reason at all to chip a DreamCast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

AFAIK you can install a chip in order not to need a boot disc.

You don't need the chip, it's only for convenience.

I was under the impression the last series of dreamcast (mine) wont read data CD's at all, so a Chip was needed, with no other option.

Ill look into that boot CD, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I've got a few *ahem* commerical games *ahem* running with no chip, just from a copied CD. So you definatly don't need one, unless I have an older model or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

hey seker16, can i download and write a boot disc to a normal blank cd and how do u selfboot?

oh any1 know a some1 in dublin or meath area that chips PS2's reliably?

cheers

can i download and write a boot disc to a normal blank cd and how do u selfboot?

Id like to know that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

can i download and write a boot disc to a normal blank cd and how do u selfboot?

The boot cd is called "Utopia boot CD", and it's a really small DL (less than 10 megs). It comes as an imagefile that can be written out to a CD and used in any unmodified DC.

Selfboot is something that the groups ripping the games started using. They implemented the code from the utopia boot cd directly into the game and then created imagefiles. You can then DL the imagefile and burn it to a CD, and play it like you would play any original game.
    Most games you DL of the net today will be selfboot.

There are even imagefiles of the various emulators that are selfboot. As emulators aren't illegal, you should find it fairly quickly if you just google for it. In worst case, use IRC or usenet.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Sorry everyone, I forgot about this thread.

Head over here to begin with Dc Emulation.
    I've lost all my old DC links I'm afraid cause I haven't used it since I got my Xbox, although to be honest, they're probably all gone now anyway. Theres no comercial games on this site, just emulators (as you might have guess)and video players and stuff.

Hazuki I never heard anything about the newest ones not working with boot cds but I wasn't following that closely.

Just be warned that the Dreamcast can be very fickle on if it reads the cd or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement