Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd 2100+

Options
  • 06-01-2004 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of upping this as much as I could, but after installed MBM 5, i'm rather worried :)

CPU temp is 60^C and case is 38^C

Am I right to be worried or will i go ahead am up it? :)

Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by hunt_daniel
    I was thinking of upping this as much as I could, but after installed MBM 5, i'm rather worried :)

CPU temp is 60^C and case is 38^C

Am I right to be worried or will i go ahead am up it? :)

Daniel

Thats a bit hot. Your HSF must be incorrectly fitted. Even just slightly off can really effect the temps. I'd say at stock speeds it should be about 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

HSF? ok, splain :p

Heat Sink F....?

the PC was bought as is, and i haven't touched the CPU since i've had it.

i've noticed ALOT of VERY hot air coming out the back of the PUS (it's situated millimetres from the top of the Heat Sink) -- it's double fanned ... one on top of the heat sink(in), on at the back of the PSU (out)

thing is, the base and middle of the case is ice cold (if a second internal fan down there ... pci slot thing) and the air coming out of there rarely ever reaches luke warm

Sorry, Heat Sink Fan. Heat rises and all the hot components CPU, PSU are at the top of the case so thats where all the heat is. A case should have cool air being sucked into the case by one or more fans at the bottom front of the case and hot air extracted by fans at the top rear of the case.

I suspect that the HSF is a budget one and really at it limits, you'd need a better one to get better cooling. It probably has been fitted badly with probably little thermal compound. This is paste that spread on the CPU to maximise the heat transfer from the CPU to the HSF.

You could tidy up the cabling inside of the case to remove any restrictions in the airflow going through the case. You could also fit better quality case fans that push/suck more air.

thanks .. i'll look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

What does MBM5 say your voltage (Vcore) is set to??

It could be a palimino core Xp2100+ which runs very very hot and 60' wouldnt be out of the ordinary.

To be honest your probably not going to get much luck with overclocking the system if it is a palimino core , there just bad overclockers.
    Post more information about your system like the make, if you know the motherboard, anything.....

• Advertisement

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~zoro/MYPC.html

Thats my pc :)

myCPUTemps.jpg

and that's my current temp info ... it'd be better to give u it all rather than you wondering :)

Daniel

Vcore set to 1.74v .... thats a palimino core Xp2100+. They are crappy overclockers, and they run very hot. Its not a nice set up for overclocking TBH as your already at what many would think is a dodgy temp.

Also your motherboard wont really support upgrading that well as its only a 266mhz FSB board, I could be wront but i think the 266mhz Xp's went up to Xp2400+ (which has both 333mhz and 266mhz versions)........which isint alot better than what you have.

Your Ram is made for 266mhz FSB also which means its not ideal for using if you upgraded your mother board (It will work ok but you will have to use FSB:RAM dividers). Possible a cheap NForce2 motherboar and a new chip if you really want to overclock......

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK 60C is way too hot for a 2100XP, I would recommend getting a beter HSF. But the main reason for the heat is because the V core or (CPU Voltage is overclocked), if you are overclocking the system only by a little then there is no reason to increase the voltage.

Go to your bios settings and set your voltage to 1.65

If you are experencing problems then increase to 1.75 again.

There are two types of XP2100's, XP2100 & XP2100A

XP2100 = 1.75V

XP2100A = 1.65V

So give it a go & see if the temps decrease......If not then buy a proper HSF.

Thanks joePC

Originally posted by joePC
    OK 60C is way too hot for a 2100XP
    thing is, i haven't touchd the voltage settings, this is exactly as how i bought it!

also, whats the difference between Core0 and Core1?? Core0 says i have the right voltage, but Core1 doesnt ... how do you know which one refers to my cpu when you say it's too high?

MBM5 doesn't always read correctly. You'd have to compare it against what it says in the bios and compare them.

• Advertisement

There are two types of XP2100's, XP2100 & XP2100A

There are actually 3 types of Xp2100+,

Palimino - 1.75v
    Tbred A - 1.65v
    TBred B - 1.6v

Didnt mean to nit pick joe :rolleyes: !!

My bet is that its just a palimino core Xp2100+ which is noted for being a hot running chip. Have seen many people who were using palli's getting these temps. I personally wouldnt be happy running my system that high and would recomend (like the guys said) getting a new HSF...... even one for €15-20 on komplett.

Other than that mabye an upgrade if you want to see a big performance difference.

right i must have been VERY confused .... my case is sitting here open now.

i actually have a **** load of space above the HSF and there IS actually a fan on top of the heat sink. funny thing is, the heat coming out of the back of the computer is ONLY being produced by the PSU, nothing else...kinda worried now

anyway, the HS on the cpu is pretty cool, and the fan on the top isnt blowing particularly warm air at all.

anyone have any ideas?

also, the onboard gpu's HS is actually warmer than the CPU's one.

Basically the HSF on the CPU is not very good. It should be hot if its taking the heat from the CPU. The fact that the CPU is hot and the HSF is cool, means its not doing its job. It might not be fitting properly. You could refit it using artic silver paste (thermal compund) and see if that makes it work better. It might also not be clipped tight enough, a HSF needs a decent bit of pressure to work at its best.

But its easy to damage an AMD cpu so if you are not sure about it and its working ok then maybe you should just leave it alone.

The PSU should be pushing out hot air thats ok. GPU run hot these days. Its normal for them to be hot. If you want to improve temps than you could fit more intake case fans which would bring more cooler air into the case and build up the airpressure in the case. This in turn would force more hot air out of the case. It won't help the CPU temps that much, you'd need a better HSF to make much of a difference on that.

Advertisement