Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springsteen

Options
  • 06-01-2004 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Any Springsteen fans???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, but I haven't listened to any of the new stuff ("new" means anything since about 95)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Can't fault the Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm not a huge fan but the man is quality, no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Love the Boss. Got his essential hits thing for christmas and it has just reminded me how great he really is.

Its a shame this song isnt on it though...

I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
    With a truckload of hundred thousand dollar bills
    Man came by to hook up my cable TV
    We settled in for the night my baby and me
    We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
    There was fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish
    So I hopped into town for a satellite dish
    I tied it to the top of my Japanese car
    I came home and I pointed it out into the stars
    A message came back from the great beyond
    There's fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Well we might'a made some friends with some billionaires
    We might'a got all nice and friendly if we'd made it upstairs
    All I got was a note that said "Bye-bye John
    Our love is fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"

So I bought a .44 magnum it was solid steel cast
    And in the blessed name of Elvis well I just let it blast
    'Til my TV lay in pieces there at my feet
    And they busted me for disturbing the almighty peace
    Judge said "What you got in your defense son?"
    "Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"

I can see by your eyes friend you're just about gone
    Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Can't fault the Boss.

Am, yes you can. He mumbles a lot and a lot of his songs sound the same. And anyone who goes by the nickname "The Boss", how pretentious, what is he the boss of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by leonotron
    Am, yes you can. He mumbles a lot and a lot of his songs sound the same. And anyone who goes by the nickname "The Boss", how pretentious, what is he the boss of?

Cock-rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

I went to see him in New York last summer.

He played 3 hour and it was a great gig.

see picture

He is a great show man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rooty

Not wanting to sound like a bruce freak, I just think he's kinda neat, and believe me there are PLENTY of them out there, but you haven't got a clue what you are on about mate. What tunes of his sound the same? And if they do, which ones are they?
    Springsteen sings about stuff everybody can identify with, life, love, and when the notion takes him, big-f**k off cars. Sure he might be a little over the top, but when you see him live it all makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Eric The Red

Springsteen is without a shadow of doubt one the best! the man oozes class! The Rising album is one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time. . . . . . and who had the notion of his songs sounding the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I went to see a chap called Joe Ely in the National Stadium back in 93 or 94. Bruce was playing in Lansdowne or the RDS the following day. Unknown to me, he and Ely are good friends so it was quite a pleasant surprise when Bruce joined Joe on stage for a few numbers. His presence is immense. The man is for real. There was no barricade in front of the stage and everybody got real close. I had to laugh when I thought of the punters in the huge venue the following day, miles away from the action. :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rooty
    Not wanting to sound like a bruce freak, I just think he's kinda neat, and believe me there are PLENTY of them out there, but you haven't got a clue what you are on about mate. What tunes of his sound the same? And if they do, which ones are they?
    Springsteen sings about stuff everybody can identify with, life, love, and when the notion takes him, big-f**k off cars. Sure he might be a little over the top, but when you see him live it all makes sense

Sorry never been to Nam so I can't identify. Songs about cars? Is that on a gangsta rap track or something?

Originally posted by Eric The Red
    Springsteen is without a shadow of doubt one the best! the man oozes class! The Rising album is one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time. . . . . . and who had the notion of his songs sounding the same?

Class!! The guy dresses like a car mechanic, complete with oily rag in pocket. Maybe if he wore a suit and tie I might take him more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Class!! The guy dresses like a car mechanic, complete with oily rag in pocket. Maybe if he wore a suit and tie I might take him more seriously.
    What, like this?

B00008Z5GE.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    (I'd really start laughing if there was a real tie in that picture)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rooty

Away to f**k and listen to your phil collins collection then if thats what your after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sabian

Great Gig, I rember The Tasmanian dust Devils Supported Joe Ely, Can anyone rember that band, and where are they now?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I saw him play on the Devils and Dust tour. For the guy who said every song sounds the same - you have to give a lot of credit to a guy who can do a world tour completely solo, with no other musician onstage, and he never even touched a guitar until about 4 songs into the show.

And then followed it up a year later with the Seeger Sessions tour, where he led about 18 musicians onstage - even performing some songs he had done previously on the solo tour.

He can do it live completely solo, and he can do it live with a massive band of up to 20 folk musicians, or he can do the same songs with the E Street band, and trust me, they do not all sound the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

leonotron wrote: »
    Sorry never been to Nam so I can't identify. Songs about cars? Is that on a gangsta rap track or something?

Where's Outlaw Pete when you need him?

Big fan here. His range of styles is beyond compare among his peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sabian

Where's Outlaw Pete when you need him?

Big fan here. His range of styles is beyond compare among his peers.

Referring back to Joe Ely in the National Stadium when Springsteen got up to play with him. does anyone remember a band called The Tasmanian Dust Devils who also played that night, Im looking for any info on them, very much appreciated. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Nebraska is one of my favourite albums.
    Atlantic City is some song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

leonotron wrote: »

He's called the Boss because when they were staring off he was the one that went up to the club promoters and got the money for the band, then he handed it out to them like wage packets. Yeah, real pretentious alright.

• Advertisement

livinsane wrote: »
    Nebraska is one of my favourite albums.
    Atlantic City is some song.

Indeed, and as well as the solo version on Nebraska, I recommend the full band version on MTV Plugged, and the stomping folk rock version on the Seeger Sessions Live In Dublin album.

People who don't get Springsteen just don't know what they're missing. When you see him live, you're seeing someone at the utmost tier of their craft. The genuine article. I got into his stuff just before The Rising came out, and couldn't believe the depth of the stuff, and how much brilliant work I'd never even heard of. I'd just been aware of all the pop videos and stuff like that. It's such a great thrill to go through a back catalogue of stuff that just gets better and better, and then The Rising came out - class.

sabian wrote: »
    Referring back to Joe Ely in the National Stadium when Springsteen got up to play with him. does anyone remember a band called The Tasmanian Dust Devils who also played that night, Im looking for any info on them, very much appreciated. .

The trad band? They're playing at Chuisle Ceoil, a trad festival in Gorey in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He's called the Boss because when they were staring off he was the one that went up to the club promoters and got the money for the band, then he handed it out to them like wage packets. Yeah, real pretentious alright.

Spot on!

And he HATES the title!

I love Bruce. Outstanding musician and the live shows are top notch. I'd love to catch a Seeger Sessions Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

sabian wrote: »
    Great Gig, I rember The Tasmanian dust Devils Supported Joe Ely, Can anyone rember that band, and where are they now?

oldposts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

I'd reply to some of the posts on page 1, but I'm afraid that some of the original posters might be dead and I never speak ill of the dead.

Is this the oldest living thread in the world?

BTW, Bruce is a legend. For 40 years making great music, releasing great albums and putting on shows that are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is this the oldest living thread in the world?
    In Boards.ie terms the oldest thread is this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement