Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Limescale

Options
  • 05-01-2004 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with using one of these for treating Limescale buildup. Aquamag-Plus Does it work or is it just another gadget that promises more than it delivers?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are lots of filtration systems on the market. What you need is something that is cost efficient over the long term. You need to consider do you want to install the filter for drinking water only, boiler only or for everything.

Filtered water generally tastes better than most tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

Hi Victor

Basically my hot water system, boiler, pipes etc are getting clogged with limescale - it's pretty bad in this area (Meath). The one in the link is pretty cheap to run but I'm just wondering if it's effective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/descal.html
    scaling can be reduced by a few percent by even one pass though a simple magnetic device but that it is difficult to increase this effect to more than about 20% even with extensive recirculation

So there is a grain of truth but it isn't a panacea

http://www.hardwater.org/water_treatment.html
    comparision of methods (not too sure if impartial)

I know one dairy that used to go through a ton of salt each day in their water softener !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

Cheers for that Capt. It can't hurt to give it a go.

Advertisement