Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

case fans

Options
  • 05-01-2004 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

i once put led into the front of my pc and they are as noisy as **** so i bought silent fans but when i was putting the LED fans i stupidily used a electric screwdriver and messed up the heads on the screw. is there anything that could help me take them out

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can you get a pliers around the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no they are flush to the metal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Drill them.
    Get your hands on a small cordless drill and a drill bit smaller in diameter then the screw (not the just the screw-hole).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If there really difficult to get out you could get a screw extractor bit (or set) , you drill a hole and use the reversed threaded extractor to remove the screw....... a set is between 3 and 10 euro from most motor factors.

Other than that mabye break the fan out?

Cr3mo what power supply do you have as a btw? Some PSU's have (antec etc) connections for "fan only" which run case fans at 7v and it will make the fan very quiet........ makes a BIG difference. You might be able to keep the blue fan!!

i have them fan only connector on my antec true blue 480w

i will try tomorrow sticking them on them but i don't think they'll reach cos the fans at bottom of pc and them fan only connectors don't seem long if i can remember.
    (i don't go inside my computer a lot) :ninja:

• Advertisement

Yea was thinkin you had that PSU.... i have the same one and had the same problem. I have mine in an Xaser II case with 4 case fans, had them running full belt and it was very loud.

Connected them to the fan only and its pretty quiet now :) (hard drives are sounding loud) i also replaced the fan on my Volcano 7 with a sharkoon adjustable "ultra silent"...... .

If your pretty close to reaching why not fit the other one , connect the 2 fans to each other and then attach them to the PSU??

You will probably find that most "silent" fans are still a bit noisey if you run them full power, the blue fan will prob be silent if you get it to reach the fan power..... Other than that why not leave it in the case and put the other fan up further??

PS When i said it runs the fans at 7v i think that varies depending on the load of the PSU.... ie in a game the fans will run a little faster .

thanks for the advice

they are coolermaster white led's btw don't ask why i didn't buy blue ones to match my psu :rolleyes:

No probs, Let us know how it turns out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i once put led into the front of my pc and they are as noisy as **** so i bought silent fans but when i was putting the LED fans i stupidily used a electric screwdriver and messed up the heads on the screw. is there anything that could help me take them out
    Even with badly rounded slots, you can often get leverage just by using a proper-sized quality screwdriver. If all else fails, you could try cutting a new slot for a flat bladed screwdriver with a dremel multitool.

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    No probs, Let us know how it turns out !!

ok i got it done now, fans are quiet and they were the noisest things in my case :O

led's aren't as bright but that's to be expected and case and cpu temps have rised a bit but i don't mind cos they still lowish enough 37 idle 50 load (P4 3ghz).

i'd still like to take them out to replace them with the silent ones i got but for now i'm happy

cheers guys!

• Advertisement

holy crap i just noticed my psu is getting hot so much it nearly burns.

i'm going to put the fans back on normal connectors and increase airflow.

i'll take noise over heat anyday!

Advertisement