Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card style drivers license - where are they?

Options
  • 30-12-2003 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Folks,

To date i've heard a lot of talk regarding the issuing of credit card style licenses but alas i have yet to see anyone with one of these licenses.

Does anyone know if they are going to be introduced. My license has unfortunatley gone through the wash about 2 years ago and has bee deteriorating ever since. Now that i've had to carry it around for the past year it is in flitters and i'm going to have to get a new one. But i don't want to go off and spend a load of money and then find out that the crediut card style licenses are ready to be issued.

So does anyone have any information regarding the reslease date for the new licenses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Peace
    But i don't want to go off and spend a load of money and then find out that the crediut card style licenses are ready to be issued.

Worst fear huh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I raised that topic in another thread here today. The current format is outdated and unusable now.

If the driver is required to carry it at all times to conform with the law then the newer format should be introduced ASAP !

Maybe we should start a poll to find out who has the "cleanest" driving licence !!:D

To get us started I've gone through 3 in the past 10 years after each was "cleaned" twice !

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by tinky
    Maybe we should start a poll to find out who has the "cleanest" driving licence !!:D
    Mine's as clean as a whistle. The only times it's been taken out of its little container have been when I got it and whenever the insurance company wanted to see it. I keep it in the car permanently as I'm a little forgetful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Just get a replacement in the meantime. A replacement licence only costs 5 euro and you don;t need to fill out any forms, just send it in to the motor tax office with a covering letter. Ring them if you want confirmation of what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by silverside
    Just get a replacement in the meantime. A replacement licence only costs 5 euro and you don;t need to fill out any forms, just send it in to the motor tax office with a covering letter. Ring them if you want confirmation of what I was told.

Ah ha, well if its only 5 euro then thats the way to go. Plus keeping the license in the car is a good idea because its being destroyed in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah ha, well if its only 5 euro then thats the way to go. Plus keeping the license in the car is a good idea because its being destroyed in my pocket.
    Save a prayer for us poor bikers who HAVE to keep it in a pocket, and then dry it out on radiator after a wet day :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm sure there are companies falling over themselves offering their services to supply the technology needed to do the CC Style Licences but as usual with our Government they are slow to do anything thanks for red tape and the usual crap. Why can't they just do it. Why all the waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

maybe the goverment should introduce a multi-purpose smart card... sthing that have been implemented by some other countries like malaysia...

every basic info of a person is stored in the card; ID, age verification, driving licence, debit card, health info, etc.... just basic info for authorised person for necessary info...

well there may be some controversy like privacy and security but necessary steps can be taken to ensure those...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by mart_max
    well there may be some controversy like privacy and security but necessary steps can be taken to ensure those...
    Not really.....
    If you allow the government to store the details in a central database, then there will always be those who believe that this information can be used for unwanted purposes, regardless of security policies in place - ie who's to say that the guy with the highest clearance can't be bought? They're right, but it's mainly a matter of how much you trust your Government.

If you allow each card to be secured, i.e. only with a PIN from the user can you access the data in the card. This would bring cries from the Government that any forged card couldn't be verified....

Tis catch 22. Personally, I would have no problem with having relevant details stored on a piece of indentification. So for a driving licence - DOB, Address, no. of points, etc.
    On your passport - same as above without penalty points, and including Visa info.

I would prefer to carry around multiple cards containg different info relevant to the purpose of the card than one card with all of my info.

It's a nice idea, but at this point in time, I wouldn't trust it. Who's to say that an airport wouldn't read my health info off the card to refuse me access on the grounds that i might contract or spread some disease there? More local to home, companies could ask for this card, and refuse you a job on any one of a few minor points which have no bearing on the job at all (previous health history, traffic convictions etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

there's an article in todays (Monday) Indo about credit card style licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

sorry here's the link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by seamus

Tis catch 22. Personally, I would have no problem with having relevant details stored on a piece of indentification. So for a driving licence - DOB, Address, no. of points, etc.
    On your passport - same as above without penalty points, and including Visa info.

If the database is set up right, this wouldn't be a problem. For example, the Gardaí would be able to access your driving license and maybe passport data but wouldn't be privvy to your health information. But lets face it, not nearly enough government officials know about the existance of computers for that to happen for at least another 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Plus keeping the license in the car is a good idea because its being destroyed in my pocket.

I really don't think that is a very good idea I must say.

Afterall, if some little gang of knackers rob your car from town they can get your address from your license drive there and rob your house!
    They know you won't be home too!
    I mean it's got everything they need to pass themselves off as you (assuming they replace the photo) and although it's not all that common, Identity theft does happen.

Advertisement