Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A small favor

Options
  • 30-12-2003 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey you guys,

Happy New Year!

I was wondering if some of you could help us? My husband and I are planning to set up an Irish themed motel here in Ford City PA in the next 6 months. Could some of you provide the Gaelic translation for the following numbers, please?

Many thanks!
    Amy.

PS - you all can come stay for free!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nilobarri

Hi Amy,

Actually we refer to our national language as Irish. This is to distinguish it from the related but distinct language Scots Gaelic spoken in the Western Isles of Scotland.

Anyway, here’s the translation:

100 = póg
    101 = póg mo thón
    102 = póg do thón
    103 = póg a thón
    104 = póg a tón
    105 = póg ár dtón
    106 = póg bhur dtón
    107 = póg a dtón
    108 = póg an tón seo
    109 = póg an tón sin

Will the rooms be rentable by the hour :-)?

Nilo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

100 Aon céad (ay-un kay-d)
    101 Céad agus a haoin (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a hayne)
    102 Céad agus a dó (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a dough)
    103 Céad agus a trí (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a tree)
    104 Céad agus a ceathair (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a ka-her)
    105 Céad agus a cúig (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a coo-ig)
    106 Céad agus a sé (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a shay)
    107 Céad agus a seacht (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a sh-aw-kt)
    108 Céad agus a hocht (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a hu-kt)
    109 Céad agus a naoi (ay-in kay-d aw-gus a nay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amyb

Thanks Syke!

That ties in with what I've been able to glean myself from the various pages out there but I wasn't sure if I had it right 'coz there seems to be some variation.

To Nilobarri (you Irish?): No,sorry you'll have to pay for the whole night now and we'll charge you double - just 'coz you think I'm just another dumb yank :-) (JK).

Thanks again,

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Actually, it's "céad agus a haon" (no i)

For 100, normally you'd just have "céad". If you want to add "aon", it causes aspiration so it should be "aon chéad" (a h is added after the c).

Good luck with the hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

In counting you would use the short form of "agus", that is, "is".

"Céad is a haon" etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

Originally posted by nilobarri
    100 = póg
    101 = póg mo thón
    102 = póg do thón
    103 = póg a thón
    104 = póg a tón
    105 = póg ár dtón
    106 = póg bhur dtón
    107 = póg a dtón
    108 = póg an tón seo
    109 = póg an tón sin

Will the rooms be rentable by the hour :-)?

Nilo.

isnt there an i? tóin?

by the way, amy, u should offer free irish lessons 2 the guests. i had a friend who went 2 france and she said that in the hotel she stayed at they offered french classes, and i think that would b a really cool little bit of extra 4 ur hotel. Also, if u like I'm a caligrapher; i could write sumthin up really pretty in irish 4 u if u like^_^

good luck w the business!
    gleanndún:D

Not before you learn to spell. It's "for your" not "4 ur". And yes. It counts.

A Ghlenndúin, an úsáideann tú téacs-chaint (text speak!) as Gaeilge leis?!

(Glenndún, go you use text speak in Irish too?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Originally posted by Yoda
    Not before you learn to spell. It's "for your" not "4 ur". And yes. It counts.

7 cèn fàth a bhfl sin tbhchtch, a Yoda dhil?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Originally posted by simu
    A Ghlenndúin, an úsáideann tú téacs-chaint (text speak!) as Gaeilge leis?!

(Glenndún, go you use text speak in Irish too?!)

Chn an fhìrinne a rà, tà sè an-deacair teàcs-chaint chiallmhar a scrìobh as Glge!

2scail mé = d'oscail mé!

2chas = dóchas,

Tá 6 = tá sé

b8 = bocht, d8 = docht, etc

br1 = braon

Sin cúpla ceann a chum mé féin! Ní mór a bheith cruthaitheach!

D'fhéadfá na foirmeacha táite (synthetic forms) de na briathra a úsáid in áit na bhfoirmeacha scartha (analytic forms of the verb). Mar shampla táid = tá siad, bíd = bíonn siad, téid = téann siad etc!

Nó, nuair a bhíonn urú ann, an litir nach bhfuaimnítear a fhágáil amach - ar an mord = ar an mbord, ag an var = ag an bhfear etc chun spás a shábháil. Tá a fhios agam gur droch-Ghaeilge é sin ó thaobh an litrithe (spelling - litriú sa tuiseal ginideach!) de ach is droch-Bhéarla Béarla an text-speak freisin!

Tá súil agam gur thuig tú an teachtaireacht seo, a Ghleanndúin - tá a fhios agam nach bhfuil tú ach ag foghlaim fós - déanfaidh mé aistriúchan air seo níos déanaí más mian leat.:)

Vulgar is as vulgar does. There's no excuse for "text message orthography" apart from laziness or ignorance. The absence of literate writing on Boards.ie is staggering to me sometimes.

You couldn't say 2scail for d'oscail because isn't the same as do, surely.

Vulgar is as vulgar does. There's no excuse for "text message orthography" apart from laziness or ignorance. The absence of literate writing on Boards.ie is staggering to me sometimes. You couldn't say 2scail for d'oscail because dó isn't the same as do, surely.

This is strictly for text messages! As for 2scail, it's not the same sound but you could guess the meanig fairly easily. Dáibhí Ó Bruadair's firstname was sometimes written 2v in manuscripts so this is nothing new!

I think that using "cute" orthography even in text messages is lazy and ignorant. It isn't "fun" to have to "guess" what someone has written.

It is a long time since medieval manuscript abbreviations were part of standard orthography. :rolleyes:

I think that using "cute" orthography even in text messages is lazy and ignorant. It isn't "fun" to have to "guess" what someone has written.

It is a long time since medieval manuscript abbreviations were part of standard orthography. :rolleyes:

Scéal eile ar fad is ea ar chóir do dhaoine giorrúcháin a úsáid i dteachtaireachtaí SMS. Is dóigh liom féin go mbraitheann sé cén duine atá chun an teachtaireacht a léamh - níor chóir giorrúcháin a usáid do theachtaireachtaí foirmeálta nó muna dtaithníonn siad leis an nduine ar an dtaobh eile.

Chuireas na samplaí sin suas chun a theaspáint gur féidir "text speak" a chumadh sa Ghaeilge leis - bíonn an-chuid daoine á rá nach bhfuil an teanga oirúnach do na méain nua leictreonacha agus ní dóigh liom gur fíor é seo!

Tá mise sásta dea-litriú agus dea-phoncaíocht a úsáid i ngach meán, cibé atá ann, ná teachtaireacht SMS, ríomhphost, nó litir go dtí mo Theachta Dáil.

Ní gá litriú a aistriú ar chúis "giorrúcháin" ar SMS, ach amháin go gcreideann daoine gur "chóir" é chun sin a dhéanamh. Ní dóigh liomsa gur chóir.

Vulgar is as vulgar does. There's no excuse for "text message orthography" apart from laziness or ignorance. The absence of literate writing on Boards.ie is staggering to me sometimes.

You couldn't say 2scail for d'oscail because isn't the same as do, surely.

u kno wut, i AM lazy, and i HATE typing so theres ur reason 4 the style of my posts. im not tryin 2 write a novel here, i just want 2 communicate my ideas in the style i would employ should the person b standin right in front of me, and with as little effort as possible. wuts wrong w that? y go through all the trouble 2 make a msg board post "look pretty" when all ur tryin 2 do is express a simple thought 2 a friend? its not necissary, and in my opinion anal, but wutever floats UR boat is ok w me, just stop tryin 2 sink mine!

o, and simu, thanx 4 the irish abbrvs, thosell b handy, that is 1ce i kno those words:p

Correct spelling isn't "pretty". It isn't ornament. It's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

When amyb asked the question she wasn't looking for pedantic bollocks (yoda), TXT SPK in Irish (a couple of you) or blatant stupidity (nilobarri).

Thankfully, despite these, her question has been answered.

=> Thread locked.

Dá mbéadh lá maith agaibh go léir! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement