Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Bus Éireann calls for more quality bus corridors

Options
  • 28-12-2003 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2003/12/28/story127215.html
    Bus Éireann calls for more quality bus corridors
    28/12/2003 - 8:35:49 am

Bus Éireann says it wants its drivers to have access to hard shoulders on motorways and dual carriageways, for use as quality bus corridors.

The company says that existing bus corridors have encouraged more passengers onto their services over the last five years, which bucks the trend of falling passenger numbers in other countries.

Spokesperson Cyril McIntyre says the Government should act to combat the country's chronic gridlock problems.

"The quality bus corridors in the greater Dublin area have been a help to us, obviously we would like to see them extended outside the city area onto the hard shoulders of the motorways and dual carriageways to provide an even better service for our customers.

"We are continuing to press the case through the Department of Transport with the local authorities and the National Roads Authority and we hope that the sort of increased business that we're reporting will encourage the powers that be to make a favourable decision."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

I think they need more buses to start with ;)

Often find myself waiting 2 hours for a bus on a sunday evening freezing my ass off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

"The quality bus corridors in the greater Dublin area have been a help to us, obviously we would like to see them extended outside the city area onto the hard shoulders of the motorways and dual carriageways to provide an even better service for our customers"

Hard shoulders are an integral part of the safety system on motorways, self explanatory...emergency vehicles, breakdowns etc etc. On no account should our already poorly and dangerously designed motorways be made more dangerous by QBC's.

By all means build an extra lane for them, on no account remove a lane to increase congestion for business or private motorists.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bus Éireann says it wants its drivers to have access to hard shoulders on motorways and dual carriageways, for use as quality bus corridors.
    Of course if we had a traffic corps we'd have more possibility of fining people who don't know that the right hand lane is for overtaking. Then the buses would have all that space free to drive faster. Which they probably shouldn't be doing anyway as the speed limit for a bus with seated passengers on all roads is 50mph as far as I can recall.

All buses have the same access to hard shoulders as the rest of us. They're not for driving on. The next step would be converting the hard shoulders into bus corridors, which would be just as unsafe for the guy who has an emergency and needs to stop. One of the last things I want to see is more idiots driving along on the hard shoulder, let alone a bus with passengers in the back.

Advertisement