Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cycling challenge for amateurs.

Options
  • 28-12-2003 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

Good to see this forum ... long overdue :).

I'm a "casual" cyclist (i.e. cycle to work but don't race etc.). Manage to cover about 200 km/week. Would like to train towards participating in an "official" cycle challenge that is amenable to amateurs... Preferably during the spring/summer. Just looking for a good cycling day out, that does not take itself too seriously.

The Wicklow 200 (or 100) seems a bit ambitious, [50-80km would be the optimum distance] The dublin - belfast maracycle is long gone !!. So what other ones are out there ?. And have you participated ??, What was your experience ??.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Why not hook up with your local cycling club?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

just checked the cycling ireland site for you, they're under construction at the mo (as per usual) but this is the lean time of yr anyway, form march onwards there should be a good range of events on, virtually weekly, that should meet your ambitions. if ur relatively fit, the wicklow challenge should be manageable at your own pace is very rewarding (by all accounts) and a great day out. but there a number of similar events :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

There's a cool one which I hope to do some day - a lot longer than I think you want but I heard there's a one day ride where you start at sunrise in Howth and end at sunset in Galway Bay!

Haven't any more info than that but sounds like a great challenge. Anyone know anything more about this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Check this one out:

http://www.galwaycycle.org

I've never done it myself but I'm hoping to this year. It looks like great craic!

Advertisement