Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios reprogramming in Ireland, or anyone willing to hot flash a p4p800 bios chip?

Options
  • 24-12-2003 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭

fubared my p4p800 bios (withing 30minutes of owning) by using ezflash to flash the 1012 bios (apparently a recipe for disaster) anyone know somewhere i could get it reprogrammed quick or anyone want to 'hotflash' my bios :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Just flash it back again with the original BIOS......you did make a backup, right?!!!:eek:. OK let's say you didn't; just flash it with the oldest BIOS available on the net(if your original one isn't - it should be). Look around on the MB makers site I'm sure they have older BIOSes in the download section.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

If he has managed to completely fry his bios, chances are he isn't even getting post. Might try to reset the bios thru a jumper on the mobo or if that fails he could see if could get his hands on a new bios chip & swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

bad flashes don't damage boards anymore,

get the right bios of the net or from a back up rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM in caps, save it to a floppy disk, boot pc off this disk.

if award bios, make a bootable floppy disk with the commands in your autoexec.bat to run your award flash program and the switchs to flash it

done both a few times no problems

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

In all likelyhood the bios has now been corrupted by this attempted flash, god knows why people try and fix things if they arent broken... Anyway this means it shouldn't progress past POST, so he won't be able to reflash it. He has a couple of choices

a) as he said find somewhere in Ireland that does flashes with a special tool

b) find a willing someone with the same motherboard to boot their computer to dos, remove the bios and hot swap your old one, you should now be able to reflash it properly.. if you're lucky.

c) i'm sure there's places online where you could buy a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

got it sorted got a new bios chip,

god knows why people try and fix things if they arent broken...

might be your attitude not mine i like tweaking my hardware its the reason i bought the motherboard i did. ive flashed bioses a thousand times, hardly my fault it asus own ezflash programme corrupts bioses?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    b) find a willing someone with the same motherboard to boot their computer to dos, remove the bios and hot swap your old one, you should now be able to reflash it properly.. if you're lucky.

What???? :eek: ; are you suggesting what I think you are?, MB can be hot swaped in commercial grade products?.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Indeed.

I've never heard of that and I just dont see how that can be; how can you hot-swap a MB - it has the PSU plugged into it after all how exactly does the computer run with no power......?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it works alright loads of people have done it

heres how
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166083

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It works alright as I had the unfortunate experiance of having to do it. Theres a good tutorial on it here . Other alternitive is to use a company like www.badflash.com to reprogram one for around $20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I've never heard of that and I just dont see how that can be; how can you hot-swap a MB - it has the PSU plugged into it after all how exactly does the computer run with no power......?
    You don't hot-swap the whole MB, just the BIOS chip itself. It plugs in and out like the ram chips on old gfx cards.

Advertisement