Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom report

Options
  • 22-12-2003 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Another negative Eircom report. Good to know some things never change.

I don't think theres any revelations here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Not having seen it, I can't comment on the original report. But that ENN article has to be one of the most stupid collections of clichés produced in a long time......

"Ebay and Google refused to set up outside of Dublin because of the additional costs they would incur due to the general lack of infrastructure, which would include broadband," ....................... it would also include roads, other communications infrastructure, availability of a skilled workforce, etc. This is nothing more than a sweeping generalisation.

"The IDA is worried about the fact that they can't get new investors to invest outside of Dublin." And if we had 100Mb broadband spewing out our arseholes the IDA would still be worried about the concentration of inward investment in the Dublin area. This was a problem 20 years ago when a broadband was a thing for holding up a hoor's floppy tits. This will be a problem long after broadband becomes ubiquitous.

And look at this for meaningless twaddle
    "I don't know why the broadband rollout shouldn't happen in 2004," she said. "It could be hard to implement in remote areas, but if the government works with libraries, schools and businesses to get pre-orders then it should be viable."

I'll stop. Such lazy journalism doesn't warrant the effort of a point by point refutation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my problem is eircom don't want to sort out lines for broadband so whats the point of rolling out bradband to areas whose lines fail the test and eircom won't repair ? been trying for three months to get a line repaired (it passes to take 5mb but the test has to pass for 10mb ) as the engineer said if they put broadband across it now it wouldn't cause them any trouble but they aren't allowed to do that or to fix the line to the higher spec. this to me seems to be the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Not having seen it, I can't comment on the original report. But that ENN article has to be one of the most stupid collections of clichés produced in a long time......

"Ebay and Google refused to set up outside of Dublin because of the additional costs they would incur due to the general lack of infrastructure, which would include broadband," ....................... it would also include roads, other communications infrastructure, availability of a skilled workforce, etc. This is nothing more than a sweeping generalisation.
    A factory needs roads. Ebay and google aren't nearly as dependent on roads.

As for the availability of a skilled workforce, even within Dublin, people have to move if the job is on the wrong side of the city.

And Athlone is a lot nearer to Dublin than Cork is, anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

"The report put significant blame on Eircom for the slow rollout of broadband. Currently DSL is available in 60 percent of the country, "

14% of the Country at the very most. It is available to 60% of the population....at a push, more realistically 40% given the state of the lines.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

quote:
    Originally posted by Muck

14% of the Country at the very most. It is available to 60% of the population....at a push, more realistically 40% given the state of the lines.

Here we go again, can't you damn "stick livers" ever give it up?
    We (eirscum) are rolling out bb to 80+% of the population
    and you still aren't happy...sigh.
    (Of course we all know that 90+% of the population live
    in D4)
    Always whinging about how Dubliners have it so easy.
    It's not my fault you all live in god forsaken places like Galway
    or Limerick. Don't you know you should all move to
    Dublin?
    At least you could all move closer to the exchanges...
    Damn culchees...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Ripwave
    As for the availability of a skilled workforce, even within Dublin, people have to move if the job is on the wrong side of the city.

And Athlone is a lot nearer to Dublin than Cork is, anyway :)
    Actually for someone who lives in Lucan Athlone can be closer than City West (2 hours on a really bad day) - Distance - well your average crow could walk it faster.

Dell in Bray nearly a decade ago had two way satellite to connect to Poland because of infrastructure problems in that country back then...
    The point being that big bandwidth users can get systems in if they need them- only the sme's have to deal with Eircom/Esat - the big guys can talk to the Tier One's (I'm sure there is a point to be made about the respective states of infrastructure in both counties since ..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€ircon will have a 2 way or a 1 way VSAT package on sale in the second quarter of next year. Expect a big rollout in about March I hear.

It will be expensive and crap for a lot of services , ( particularly VoIP :D ) but the Good news is that €ircon will then claim (correctly for once) that they now have 100% BB coverage in Ireland as long as you accept that 512k every now and then is BB of course.

The Bad news is that the soi-disant 'tech' journalists we have in this country will repeat McRedmonds guff verbatim and will not attempt to insert a critical faculty of any sort between the bull**** and the word processor. That will not change in 2004 .

M

Advertisement