Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF:1942 - Deluxe Format?

Options
  • 20-12-2003 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭

Was gonna buy BF1942 Deluxe edition today, but saw the back said "cd - dvd : 4 speed". Is it a DVD disc then? The front said CD-ROM, Didn't wanna spend 50€ and get stung for not having DVD drive in pc...! Anyone know...? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's plain old CD-ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What they must mean by that is CD/DVD, as in it required either a CD Drive or DvD drive. At the moment no games publisher are releasing games on DvD discs.

All you need is a simple CD Rom drive.

And go get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Yay! :D That means I'll be heading into town tomorrow to pick it up! :) I'm gonna be n00b bashed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

@Winters,

When i got I got Yager, it was on DVD. considering that it's 4.5 gigs, it's not suprising ;-)

Originally posted by Impurity
    @Winters,

When i got I got Yager, it was on DVD. considering that it's 4.5 gigs, it's not suprising ;-)

Had a bigger post yped out but it made no sence and i just changed it to all games. Really it depends on what works out cheaper and allows games publishers to make more money. But for games that are 4gb's as you mentioned above it probably works out cheaper to produce one DvD then 5 or so CD's. Usually though CD's are used insted of DvD's as few games require 3 or more CD's at the moment...

Also, by using DvD's you do anilate a bit of the market. Anybody buying a game has access to a CD Rom drive. But not all have access to DvD drives, which I do still kinda find amazing.

• Advertisement

thats true, I'd doubt they sold many copeis of Yager for the simple fact that it is on a DVD.

I remember ages ago, I'm talking 3-4 years when the game of Blade Runner came out, it came out on DVD and no one i knew could play it cause we had no DVD drives, Was a good game too but it sucked that we couldn't play it.

Im suprised to still see that Yager was the only other game since then that i saw that came out on DVD seeing as i know at least 30 people that all have DVD drives now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

I noticed C&C Generals today was listed as being DVD. Or at least the version I saw was.
    Haven't bought the game yet, got tempted by the Opeth DVD :D:D:D:D *drools*

I have C&C Generals and it is on CDRom... though i do plan to buy the Expansion PAck soon enough. Good game.

I'd say in a couple of years we will see more games being produced on DvD. By then i'd say the majority of the games market will have DvD drives. Also by then it will probably be cheaper to produce DvD's insted of 2 or 3 CD's.

yeah i got C&C generals too, and it's on cd but maybe a bundle pack came out with the zero hour expansion and the original game on it too or something like that.

I wasn't too impressed with it at all, I am a major C&C fan and i thought the previous red alert 2 and tiberium sun were far better games than this, it just seemed to lack in story and was way too short. good gameplay and graphics though i suppose. I'll still get the expansion but i wouldn't pay the price that they are selling ot for now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

pro evo 3 was on dvd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

qué?

wasnt a big fan of generals myself, thought the other c&c titles were far better. but then i got zero hour and it makes the game alo better. they make the stor a bit better, theres small videos of news reports before each mission and the different types of generals gets you more involved.

what? oh yes, bf is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How much is the deluxe edition?
    I take it if it's €50 it has BF, RtR and Swoww2? And prehaps a mousemat or novelty keyfob?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

only has BF and RTR im 'fraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Until Dell stop shipping cd drives on their machines, you won't see many games on dvd. It's generally the metric by which you can monitor market demands.

I got the original Baldur's gate on DVD, which was a pleasant experience. But it's pretty stupid that stuff like SW:KOTOR comes on 4 cds. Anythings got to beat the days of games coming on 9 or 10 floppy disks.

Originally posted by ssh
    Anythings got to beat the days of games coming on 9 or 10 floppy disks.

Was microsoft office not on about 20 floppys? And windows 3.11 on about 4 or 5. I think the floppies are around here somewhere if i look hard enough. God office took a year to install in those days. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Winters
    Was microsoft office not on about 20 floppys? ...

I still have a copy of it here somewhere on 30 floppys - 3 box-fulls! God bless CD's!!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

win 95 was on about 13/14 floppies if I remember correctly, i was one of the original official beta testers of 95, one of the projects was to run os/2 warp & 95 & see which one was best at certain things & then report back to Microsoft, ah those were the days, the 486 dx4 & the pentium 60mhz

Advertisement