Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do?

Options
  • 19-12-2003 2:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread for people who want to talk about what they do to volunteer and for people who want to talk about what area they might like to volunteer in. It's not always high on people's priority list, but volunteering to help out people in your own community can be very rewarding and give one extra experience and skills in some areas or simply allow your heart to bloom in giving something to a person in need.
    Aware is a depression self-help group and facilitating that kind of group allows me to keep myself grounded in my own life and develope some of the skills necessary to work within a group context. I can honestly say it has helped me give back to the community and to see the smile on a person's face when they feel a little better is magic. To know i make a difference. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Interestingly, contributing to the community can seem like pure genorisity, but when all the people who contribute are added up, the difference that can be made to help people can help enhance the whole society. Whether volunteering to coach for the local football team or meals and wheels, the benefit can resonate in lots of different ways. Without necessarily naming the organisation/area, what do you do, or what might you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I volunteer in two areas at the moment,

One is with a student LGB organisation and the other is with a gay mans peer action group.

These 2 groups give me a lot of satisfaction because it helps me to develop and grow as a person but also I am helping others by giving them information, personal support etc

I would highly reccomend volunteering for everyone

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement