Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Bus Éireann routes to be privatised

Options
  • 18-12-2003 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2003/12/18/story126195.html
    Bus Éireann routes to be privatised
    18/12/2003 - 8:44:55 am

Minister for Transport Seamus Brennan is to privatise a quarter of national Bus Éireann routes.

Brennan plans to bring in legislation which will effectively extend his policy of franchising routes, which he announced last year for the Dublin area.

Newspaper reports this morning quote Brennan as saying this development will be effective next year and that the Government will be discussing the issues involved with unions.

He is also quoted as confirming his policy will not change.

Companies who apply for franchises are be offered cash-generative lines along with less lucrative routes as a package.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

good news. I was particularly impressed with the service offered by aircoach. It would be nice if they started operating on the N2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Indeed Aircoach provide an excellent service from the airport and I often recommend them to passangers with a lot of luggage over a taxi or a Dublin Bus.

My fear for the ministers proposals are that of cost to us the taxpayers in the long run. Dublin Bus provide a social service and as such must operate routes that are loss making. Any monies they did make came from the very routes the minister wants to give to private operators. In time this will result in a reduction of service to passangers on the low usage routes.

I really cannot see a private company operating in this mode - they will eventually throw their hands out looking for subsidisation to operate the routes, money that will come from our pockets !!

In the UK some councils have had to give cash to private operators in order to keep services up to scratch or even withdraw contracts from operators who did not fulfil their contracts. This will happen here as well.

Tinky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Look at the UK experiance with private buses, the more reputible bus companies used to sell off buses they could no longer maintain. They would then be bought by less reputible buses and so on.

To setup a bus company there all you needed was a cheap license and a cheap clapped out bus...

Advertisement