Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Fireplaces

Options
  • 17-12-2003 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hello again
    now that the kitchen is getting sorted I am moving on to getting a cast iron fireplace. I haven't done too much shopping around, the one I have my eye on is a bit expensive, its a restored job in an antique shop. He wants 900 yoyos for the fireplace (thats with the hearth, basket etc.) and another 100 to fit it. The fireplace is 40x42, with a 16 inch opening. 2 Qs'....

1. Is this too expensive? If so, any suggestions where I should look (range is Dublin to Mullingar approx.). I've heard some gippos, sorry Travellers, have a cheap place in Newbridge, am checking that tomorrow. Better not get offered any free 'dags'...the fireplace doesn't have to be antique

2. If this is indeed a fair price, how hard is it to fit one of these yokes? I can't imagine it being that hard. 100 euro is a lot of money to me at the moment, especially seeing as my car started making a new noise tonight

As ever, any help much appreciated
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can spend €75,000 on an original Georgian fireplace, so €900 is fair enough (a) if you like it (b) if it has a bit of character and fits into the surroundings. The €100 fitting wouldn't be abnormal as there would be travel time, fitting, sealing (you don't want the smoke / fire going in the wrong direction), etc.

Question: Can you see the blockwork at the back of the fireplace or is their a proper fireback fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- again, sorry for the delay in replying. In the end I got the fecker down to 900 with free fitting. The fireplace space is just bare brick so he is putting in the back bit. Hopefully I will be in when he's installing it so I can see how its done. I reckon its probably an easy enough job but with all the other stuff still to be done in the gaff I just couldn't be bothered!

Cheers
    Neil

Advertisement