Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amps: Valve vs. Transistor???

Options
  • 15-12-2003 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

The age old question which is better. To be honest I think its all down to what your after yourself personally. Your own sound.

I play a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, which is entirely valve driven. Including the Rectifier section of the amp. But it has an optional Silicone diode switch for the rectifier section. To be honest I've played both, and the feel and tone I get from a valve I can't describe. You feel every string vibration through the amp. Its hard to describer but the tone is more rounder and not as predictable as a transistor amp.

Its a matter of taste not everyone like dual rectifiers. That dosen't mean there not good. People that say things are **** simlpy cuz they don't like them don't know what there talking about. I'm not a fan of ibanez electric guitars. But that in know way means there no good. They make some excellent guitars.

Neway look just trying to see what peoples preference here is. Take the money aspect away as I know valve amps are expensive. But which do you prefer???

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm going to have to say Solid State but to my eternal regret, I've never properly played through a fully tube amp :( Maybe you should throw up a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

uh, is there any question about it? solid state is harsh and that digital stuff is herasy!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's about which you prefer. I don't find SS to be that harsh. A nice bit of EQing and you're away. As for the digital thing, herasy is a bit strong. If you're a starter, a Line 6 spider is perfect.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Two best amps I've ever played were a Mesa Dual Recto and a Vox AC30.
    Two different sounds, but I've never found an solid state amp which matches them.
    Having said that, the Line 6 amps sound great, but they're just immitating the valve sound...they're not going for a transistor type sound.

Valve all the way for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They're both quality, it just depends on the amp.

I have a Fender Roc Pro 70w guitar amp, it has a solid state clean channel and a valve gain channel. It sounds excuisite.

I also have an Ampeg VC 140 140w solid state guitar amp, which I bought from a mate. Years ago we saw it in Waltons and after hearing it, I stayed (guarded it) in the shop while my mate wnet and found the money to buy it. He since moved to the UK and, as part of our gentlemans agreement made on the day he bought it, he sold it to me, lest it fall into the hands of those who don't appreciate great, great tone. It's a fantasic amp, I must give dabhoys a listen sometime, it'd give the Dual Rec a run for it's money, no bother.

It's a draw for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I own the Mesa and by god is great. I still think the best valve head out there at the moment is the German made Diezel. You can beat the old AC 30 and the ever present Fender Dual Reverb. I mean I started my guitar playing on a MG 30 Marshall then I played a real amp and I fell for that something you just can't quite put your finger on.

Again I mean you don't see many country musicians using Dual Rects. But they use there fenders and AC 30 and I bet ya most of them are the valve versions. They are just a sweeter tone.

The new valvestates aren't bad at all. Especially for beginning guitarists. No starting guitar player is going to pay €2000 for an amp!!! They do the job quite well. I'd recomend them for the starting player. Over the Digital modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

As for the digital thing, herasy is a bit strong. If you're a starter, a Line 6 spider is perfect.

That's very true, but I don't think there is any argument to be had if one says money is no object. Valve all the way!

We have a Fender tranny, big watts on it but all it's good for is clean. A friend of mine has an AC30, mmmm, another has a Marshall Valvestate, tube preamp, transistor poweramp afaik. I think that's a pretty good comprimise and what we at home should have bought in the first place. Here's hoping a twinamp arrives this christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

You can beat the old AC 30 and the ever present Fender Dual Reverb.

In my last post I meant to right:

You can't beat the old AC 30 and the ever present Fender Dual Reverb.

I think the AC 30 and the Fender Dual Reverb are classics that can't be beaten...

Advertisement