Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Night At The Fitzwilliam

Options
  • 12-12-2003 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

I can tell everyone of you who are interested in Poker get your ass down to The Fitzwilliam card club, http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com Myself and some other boards members, Krattapopov, Dr.Dodger and DangerMan went along for the first time. Free membership and a free €10 bet, but we will get to that later. We entered the free entry satelitte to the €250 game that is on next week (brought forward because of Christmas). Anyway there was about 20 players at the start but more joined throughout the buy-in period so I'd say 35 players in total were there in all. I was siting to the left of this guy who was abit crazy. He was acting before me and kept going all-in every hand. He lost he's chips on many occasions but went all-in again the very next hand after he bought back in. It was driving me insane because I couldn't get to see a flop without some cracking pocket cards. During the buy-in period I has two rebuys and then a top -up at the end of period, so €30 in all. I had a really bad beat for one of my hands. I had AJ in the pocket and just called the pre-flop bet as did 3 others. Flop can down J,J,6. Instantly my eyes lit up. Some old woman threw a rake of chips in and everyone folded except me. I called the bet and was all-in. She had K,Q and was on a complete bluff. My 3 jacks were looking unbeatable. The turn card came Q and another Q followed in the river, nearly got sick on the table, oh what a mess. I just bought back in though and soon the buy-in period finished. Then the real poker got going. It was a completly different game after the break(which included free sandwiches, soft drinks, tea & coffee), it was much tight and with the blinds rising fastly usually only the big and small blinds were involved in pots. After 4 hrs a poker and making it down to the final table I finished 9th with Krattapopov finishing an excellent 6th. The top three won tickets to the €250 entry game and 4th came away with €60. It's well worth a trip in if your interested. It's really relaxed and the dealers are most helpful in pointing out if you have to post a blind or whatever. Also the other players are a great laugh especially that weird guy to my right. He was giving me some really good tips on the other players at the table throught the game. Oh and back to my free bet. Off to the roulette table, put the €10 on red. It won, got 20 back. Then put singles on 8,10,23, ball drops on 23, so I made €52 in about a minute, cashed them in and left a very happy man. Before I go an honerable mention to DangerMan who had 3 sets of pocket aces in the space of an hour and a half and they only stood up once. He swares he's gonna start folding them now.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Next time you guyts go give me a shout - I'd love to tag along.

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right, that settles it. I'm goin' there sometime.
    Hopefully before xmas. What nights is it on again?

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

They have tournaments every night - the Thursday on eis free to enter but €10 for re-buys. AFAIK next week is the monthly €250 buy in - so that's out :(

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The next free entry is next Thursday at 6.30pm. They have brought it forward because of Christmas. Once it has finished the big €250 will get underway. As it is on before the big one there is a good chance of a few top Irish players being there or even playing it to try avoid having to pay into the real thing. If you did win the ticket it would be a very long night of poker. Also I'd say the blinds will go up more sharply next week to make sure the €250 gets going on time. If u do intend going in I'd recommend you confirm with them before going in just in case. As I said that's what they told us when we were leaving so there is a chance this could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you do well on the thursday night competition, what time would the tournament end? I'd love to go, but I'm in work early on the friday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by lafortezza
    I'd love to go, but I'm in work early on the friday :(
    Real poker players never sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

If you do well on the thursday night competition, what time would the tournament end? I'd love to go, but I'm in work early on the friday

right i went in with Davey Devil and i was completely shocked i came 6th over all!!! to answer your question it was around 1 30 when i went out and that was in 6th so you could easily be there for another hour at least.

have to say i lost the head a little bit, first time in a big tournament and all that, i had just lost bout half my chips and said to myself take it easy sit out a few hands, but i got a pair of 7's and i just went mad and called all in, one guy called me, he had A9, he hit them on the turn and river. oh well!!

definitely recommend it, great atmosphere and fairly friendly people, the trick is to try and get past the rebuy session, that is so annoying specially if your cheap like me, i had to rebuy once and i topped up as well...

cant go next week unfortunately stupid work, but ill be there in the new year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

dying to go....

so is it on this thursday (18th) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Yes this Thursday 18th At 6.30 pm, I'd ring to make sure though, the number is on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

nice one,

ill give a call.

The merrion is a bit intense so looking foward to joining...

• Advertisement
Advertisement