Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratm - Hip hop/rap ?

Options
  • 10-12-2003 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Just wonderin, does anyone consider Rage against the Machine to be Hip Hop or Rap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

They have strong rap influences, Renegades of Funk references a lot of the original rappers, and their political alignment is similar to Public Enemy, as well as the cover of Fuck tha Police, But nah I wouldnt consider them a rap/hip-hop group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'll just go with no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

lol...I think they r influenced by rap myself.

I wud call em Rap-Metal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

They are definetly rap-metal, the influence is immeadiatly apparant. They're also quite possibly the only rap-metal group I would ever listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

blatantly not... theyre a rock band pretty much like most other rock bands since the 1950's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They are most definintely a rock band because look at the remaining members who are in audioslave.they are entirely a rock so that is a pretty big change they used to be rap/hip-hop. Ill admit they had some rap influences but they were still a rock band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

You could call them a rock band, but a more precise term is rap-metal, a style that stems from rock.

Originally posted by Kingp35
    They are most definintely a rock band because look at the remaining members who are in audioslave.they are entirely a rock so that is a pretty big change they used to be rap/hip-hop. Ill admit they had some rap influences but they were still a rock band.

What? That doesn't make any sense. What does Audioslave have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Zack De La Rocha titled himself as an emcee, he did do a song with KRS and Last Emperor (then, his political views are very similar to KRS's) on Lyricist Lounge 1.

The actual band?
    No.

Rap metal is a genre best left forgotten, not to say RATM weren't an alright band (yeah, I was an angst ridden youth once too) but then you have people like Linkin Park.

Who should have cigar cutters taken to their fingers.

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery

What? That doesn't make any sense. What does Audioslave have to do with anything?

Exactly :)

Also cannibal dont forget about their public enemy, Chuck D guest appearance.
    Hes rap?

"Whassup, Whassup?, Im with Rage on the Stage.....I got Tom in ure face, Tim on the Bass, Brad on the drums, come and get some"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Cannibal Ox

Rap metal is a genre best left forgotten, not to say RATM weren't an alright band (yeah, I was an angst ridden youth once too) but then you have people like Linkin Park.

Who should have cigar cutters taken to their fingers.
    Say what you want but Meteora is my album of the year. I'm a hip hop fan by definition but that album was brilliant and the production is beyond most rap albums coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

More like pop rap fan by definition.
    Sorry couldn't resist. :D

I dont h8 Linkin park. I think they r ok. Mike Shinoda is fairly decent :)

Advertisement