Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a 2nd hand Mexican Strat

Options
  • 08-12-2003 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I'm going to see a guy about his Mexican Strat someday this week.
    Is there anything of note I should look out for on a 2nd hand one?
    He says it's in very good shape but the price seems very low...not far off Squire territory really.
    I'm a bit of a newbie to electrics so don't wanna get myself screwed over if I can help it.
    Pic of it attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Is there anything of note I should look out for on a 2nd hand one?

Well, a) it's 2nd hand, and b) it was assembled at the Mexican plant - i dont think the low price should worry you too much...
    I'd say if there's no major damage to the neck, go for it. Should there be anything wrong with the wiring this can be easily fixed, you can even get better pick-ups installed, and the neck can be adjusted and professionally set up as well.
    So just use your judgement - there isnt anything that can be very very wrong with it.
    Strats that are assembled in Mexico are original, ie, all the parts are brought in from the States, but the production costs are lower in Mexico, hence the lower retail price of the Mexican (along with other "entry-level" models like the Highway1 etc)
    You'd still be getting very good value for a Strat .
    I'd go for it (the guy selling it either has a genuine reason for sale, or he doesnt appreciate strats very much).

That's my humble opinion, even though i'm a very picky, detail conscious fender freak.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

1. Check the controls. Adjust them all and check for crackling. If there's a large amount of crackling, they're going to need to be replaced.
    2. Check for cracking in the paint where the neck attachs to the body. It may only be finish cracking but it's possible a crack in the body from the guitar falling.
    3. Check the neck for excessive wear/damage on the neck and fretboard.
    4. Check that the tuners work well, don't slip and aren't too stiff.
    5. If possible, check if the truss rod works. Can often be a reason for selling a perfectly good instrument.

Any other questions, just ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I bought a Mexican Strat for 250 Irish with a 100w amp. Best deal I ever got.
    Sold the amp for 200 euro.

Slap in a Hotrail or a JB Jr. and it will be grand.

Providing of course theres no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

They're grand. Just make sure the neck isn't warped, and that all the pots work. Make sure it sounds like you want it, too. Check if it's a Mex or a Standard.

If it's not great buy mine!! It's deadly! It's a lot better than a run of the mill Mex. It's a '98 "Fender Standard Stratocaster". These used to be made in the U.S. but are now buit alongside their lesser siblings in Mexico. €649 new now. €350 is what most guys I've spoken too reckon it's woth at least. Wine finish, maple neck. Been on "for sale" twice before!

Given up at this stage as nobody realises how good it actually is. Snobs think made in Mexico=crap. Not the case. Particularly for models like the Standard and highway1 etc.

Advertisement